FIXED - Edison Fireside warbling

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
john9ten
Victor II

FIXED - Edison Fireside warbling

Post by john9ten »

Hello all. I am working on a Fireside for a friend and it warbles badly. It has the governor with the spring collar on it and I was told these can cause that, but I'm not sure. The one that was on it was badly bent and broken so I replaced it but no improvement. The governor pads are somewhat mismatched, one was replaced. maybe this is causing governor flutter? One pad is the original and the other seems to be a piece of folded soft leather. Also the governor speed seems to go up and down a bit. See the videos. I've got a week and a half to sort it out. Opinions?
Thanks!
John Robles
Attachments
20220807_125422.mp4
(18.2 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
20220807_130644.mp4
(13.18 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by john9ten on Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outune
Victor IV

Re: QUESTION - Edison Fireside warbling

Post by outune »

Hi John- Three potential issues I'd investigate-

1) The governor pads-- You already know they are mismatched. If one is sliding smoothly and the other is creating some friction on the governor disc, it could cause a flutter or warble--

2) In your video, the governor shaft is shaking back and forth in the end bearing-- Your bearing may be worn (elongated hole), or the end of the governor shaft may be bent.

3)- A poorly fitted belt can cause a warble--(too loose is the more frequent cause of warble with a belt) Check that it isn't too tight or too loose and that the belt tensioner wheel is turning freely- A drop of oil on the shaft may help.

My guess right now would be the governor pads being mismatched, but could be a combination of all three.

Brad Abell

john9ten
Victor II

Re: QUESTION - Edison Fireside warbling

Post by john9ten »

outune wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:13 pm Hi John- Three potential issues I'd investigate-

1) The governor pads-- You already know they are mismatched. If one is sliding smoothly and the other is creating some friction on the governor disc, it could cause a flutter or warble--

2) In your video, the governor shaft is shaking back and forth in the end bearing-- Your bearing may be worn (elongated hole), or the end of the governor shaft may be bent.

3)- A poorly fitted belt can cause a warble--(too loose is the more frequent cause of warble with a belt) Check that it isn't too tight or too loose and that the belt tensioner wheel is turning freely- A drop of oil on the shaft may help.

My guess right now would be the governor pads being mismatched, but could be a combination of all three.

Brad Abell
Hi Brad!

I changed the belt. Problem gone. Yeesh, that was too easy!

John