What to use to seal this horn?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

What to use to seal this horn?

Post by Dischoard »

Anyone have any idea what this material is that they used to seal around the horn on my Columbia 710? It's coming off and I'd like to either re-attach it or replace it with something correct or heck, even better. Now where did I put that can of expanding foam? :lol:
Columbia 710 horn detail.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: What to use to seal this horn?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Just from here it looks like paper and wax. If I were working on it, I would use thin brown paper and some of that wax ring material you get at a hardware store for sealing toilets to the floor with. Warm the wax, pack it in there with a popsicle stick, paper over the top once the wax is smoothed, and then melt wax & brush it on over the paper. That'd probably do it.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I see no one has responded--yet. Have you examined the material yourself and, if so, what does it look like? Was it a glue that dried to a flexible joint that has now hardened and peeled over time? Or something else? And how easily does the rest of it peel off? I would try to answer those questions first before applying anything new. I wonder--and this is pure speculation--if the original material were something like rubber cement. That does not dry hard (I don't think you want a rigid joint here) and you could peel it off at a later point.

Let's see what other have to say.

John

PS: I see Vaneps has responded!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

When I opened up the back of my VV 8-12 I used clear silicone calk to seal any openings in the pot metal flange and the wood horn. It just makes sense to me to use modern materials that were not invented in 1927 in areas that no one sees. I would pull off the dry tape and toss it in the trash.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."