LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN!

Post by fran604g »

Lah Ca wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:46 pm

She is pretty certain that it reads: Laa ghalib illa Allah (No victorious/no victor but Allah which is a parallel to No God but Allah).

But there is probably some small slightly sacrilegious joke contained herein. The machine is a paradox: it is a Victor Victrola but Laa ghalib illa Allah--there is no Victor except Allah.

Is it actually an Arabic machine--slightly risky if yes? Or was it custom work done for someone like a wealthy Spanish Arabic Scholar/Historian with a sly sense of humour?

My friend is pretty sure she is right with her interpretation but she is waiting for responses from other Arabists. More later maybe.
Or was it possibly meant as a rebuke to the name put on the machine? That might've been safer than a joke.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I had a sense that this machine would head stateside; few people here in Europe would know what it is. Congrats on the purchase!

Garret

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

fran604g wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:33 am
Lah Ca wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:46 pm
But there is probably some small slightly sacrilegious joke contained herein. The machine is a paradox: it is a Victor Victrola but Laa ghalib illa Allah--there is no Victor except Allah.

Is it actually an Arabic machine--slightly risky if yes? Or was it custom work done for someone like a wealthy Spanish Arabic Scholar/Historian with a sly sense of humour?
Or was it possibly meant as a rebuke to the name put on the machine? That might've been safer than a joke.

Cheers,
Fran
Yes. It is possible.

But it is also possible that we are overthinking it all and that the workman and patron commissioning the custom work were completely oblivious to the unintentional irony they were creating."

Cheers.

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

It doesn't get any more ornate than that. Congratulations!

David & Lerria Rosamond

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

Congrats Larry! I guess this was the upcoming purchase you were referring to. Very nice indeed!

Regards, Wes

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

I asked a friend who is from the Middle East. This is his response.

“That is a beautiful piece! The text is a traditional stylization of the Arabic لا اله إلا الله (there is no god but God) which is in the beginning of every Muslim prayer.”

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

That "cat" has exquisite taste!😂edisonplayer.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

pianolist wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:30 am I asked a friend who is from the Middle East. This is his response.

“That is a beautiful piece! The text is a traditional stylization of the Arabic لا اله إلا الله (there is no god but God) which is in the beginning of every Muslim prayer.”
Your friend is correct with the meaning of the motto. It is a paraphrase of of the standard beginning to prayer. The standard beginning is not what it literally says, however.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/ ... scriptions

"The elegant Arabic script contains a large amount of sloganeering, with praise for the Nasrid dynasty who ruled Granada for two and half centuries predominant. The Nasrid motto - "There is no victor but Allah" - is the most common inscription found so far."

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

That makes sense. I've heard "There is no vanquisher but Allah" Same meaning...