Need shipping advice

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kendphono
Victor II

Need shipping advice

Post by kendphono »

Looking for suggestions on shipping a large Edison horn. Help on packing and shipping would be appreciated.

Anyone going from Wayne to Iowa that could transport the horn would be appreciated. I can get it to Wayne.

Yhanks
Ken Danckaert

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Re: Need shipping advice

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Ken,
Large horns are an issue! I am assuming a 22" bell and 30" long, but here is what I can suggest:

UHaul Wardrobe Box. Can often be found free on FB

Create/cut one or two sheets to cardboard the same exact size of the INSIDE wardrobe box floor but do not place in the wardrobe box yet. This will act as a stiffener to avoid any crushing of the floor of the box (you can use ⅛ plywood if you have it.) You will need a large box to cut up for this step.

put down one layer of bubblewrap or peanuts on the wardrobe box floor. (This will act as a shock absorber for drops.)

Get a large trash bag and place the horn in it. twist tie it closed.

Place the horn in bag on the sheet of cardboard bell side down on it. and tape the bag with horn all around the perimeter to the cardboard sheet.

Place the horn with the stiffener attached into the wardrobe box. If it is cut the correct size it will slide in like a piston and rest on your shock absorber layer.

Fill the box (you will need tons of paper/bubble wrap/peanuts to the top of the horn.

Trim box down/fold and seal.

And now what? You have a huge light weight box. UPS wants to destroy it, FedEx want to charge you a fortune. I can recommend Greyhound Package service which means you have to drop it off at you local bus station and you client has to go pick it up at the other end. They give you a tracking number but provide no tools to actually track it. No time frame guarantee, but it has been 100% successful the few times I have used it.

I HOPE YOU FIND SOMEBODY WHO IS DRIVING AND CAN TAKE IT FROM THE SHOW WITHOUT ALL THIS PACKING! :)

John
Horns rolled and straightened

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

Thanks,

Ken

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

It is priced by size not weight on big boxes and the post offices holiday rates start soon.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Try Pirate Ship for incredibly good rates for UPS on big parcels. Accounts are free, and you use it as needed. No minimum orders.
www.pirateship.com
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've also had good results with Pirate Ship.

Jerry B.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

To further strengthen these big boxes, shore up each corner of the box from the inside with those cardboard angles that you find in a dumpster back of a furniture store--those things are amazing for shipping horns.