Edison Long Play conversion instructions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CMac1974
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Record, Machines, Records, Machines.... Decisions Decisions!

Edison Long Play conversion instructions

Post by CMac1974 »

Hello, I've searched the boards and have found many references to photos and instructions for converting a DD phonograph to a Long Play with a kit. Would someone be able to provide me with a photo of the parts required for the conversion and direct me to where I may get a copy of the instructions.

Thank you.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Edison Long Play conversion instructions

Post by OrthoFan »

As noted here -- http://www.shellac.org/wams/wvendor3.html -- the late Ron Dethlefson (see -- http://www.edisonrecords.com/ ) offered reprints of the instructions. I'm sure one of the collectors on this forum could probably help you.

This photo shows what was included in the Kit, which included the LP reproducer fitted with a microscopic diamond tip --
LPCapture.JPG
FROM -- https://forum.antiquephono.org/uploads/ ... 601e13.JPG
(Original Source -- https://forum.antiquephono.org/classifi ... ew-in-box/ )

OrthoFan

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I installed one of these on a C-19 once. Once I had the motor out, it took a half hour or so without having instructions available. It would go faster if I were doing it again, now that I've done it once.

In short, what I did that actually worked (as opposed to a few tries that didn't) was as follows:

1) Loosen the set screw on the long/short switch.
2) Attach the long/short switch extension rod to the feed screw mechanism and set aside.
3) With motor completely wound down, remove old feed screw.
4) This is the slightly tricky part - slide the new feed screw mechanism into place while also installing the long/short switch on the edge of the bedplate.
5) Screw everything down.

Test by putting the motor back in place and observing how quickly the reproducer moves with the switch in both short and long positions. It is possible to make fine adjustments to the position of the extension rod using the little "wheel" on it, but you don't usually have to do this.

Sorry that this is not highly detailed, but I hope it's better than nothing.

Attempting to install the switch and feed screw separately did not work for me. The "formal" instructions might reveal a good way to do this, but I don't have them.

I will also note that you really need to have a double spring motor to use the long play system. It's not quite as critical for the 10", 12 minute records, but you'll never make it through the 12", 20 minute records without a double spring.

Good luck!

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

OrthoFan wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:32 pm As noted here -- http://www.shellac.org/wams/wvendor3.html -- the late Ron Dethlefson (see -- http://www.edisonrecords.com/ ) offered reprints of the instructions. I'm sure one of the collectors on this forum could probably help you.

This photo shows what was included in the Kit, which included the LP reproducer fitted with a microscopic diamond tip --
LPCapture.JPG
FROM -- https://forum.antiquephono.org/uploads/ ... 601e13.JPG
(Original Source -- https://forum.antiquephono.org/classifi ... ew-in-box/ )

OrthoFan
Thank you very much for your post. It’s very helpful.

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

52089 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:40 pm I installed one of these on a C-19 once. Once I had the motor out, it took a half hour or so without having instructions available. It would go faster if I were doing it again, now that I've done it once.

In short, what I did that actually worked (as opposed to a few tries that didn't) was as follows:

1) Loosen the set screw on the long/short switch.
2) Attach the long/short switch extension rod to the feed screw mechanism and set aside.
3) With motor completely wound down, remove old feed screw.
4) This is the slightly tricky part - slide the new feed screw mechanism into place while also installing the long/short switch on the edge of the bedplate.
5) Screw everything down.

Test by putting the motor back in place and observing how quickly the reproducer moves with the switch in both short and long positions. It is possible to make fine adjustments to the position of the extension rod using the little "wheel" on it, but you don't usually have to do this.

Sorry that this is not highly detailed, but I hope it's better than nothing.

Attempting to install the switch and feed screw separately did not work for me. The "formal" instructions might reveal a good way to do this, but I don't have them.

I will also note that you really need to have a double spring motor to use the long play system. It's not quite as critical for the 10", 12 minute records, but you'll never make it through the 12", 20 minute records without a double spring.

Good luck!
Thanks, your info seems pretty straight forward. Appreciate the guidance on the springs. If all goes well, the machine does have a double spring motor.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I’ve installed and removed the LP kit several times, and the instructions published by Edison and reprinted by Ron are extremely well written, and highly recommended. I’m sure someone here has them and can post shots of the key pages. There are details, such as bearing clearances and the location of the speed switch, that you need.

It’s a very clever arrangement, and you’ll bond with the long departed author as you walk together through the steps.

Test the stylus by running it under a bright reflected light on the clear runout area of any disc to check for etching from the stylus being bad - they often are. The test is imperative before you chance wrecking your expensive Edison LP records.

Another reason you need to follow the installation instructions carefully is that if the stylus jumps a groove due to a misalignment or otherwise incorrect setup, this is also likely to damage the record.

You must get a second spring barrel for your machine, from any junker/spare motor, and install it. That’s a good practice for any diamond disc machine, in fact, and super easy (albeit perhaps a bit greasy) to do. The second spring assures a full side is played uninterrupted, and prevents the temptation of trying to wind the phonograph back up while it is playing - and risking a groove jump.

Seriously, you can walk wrong in the room while an LP is playing, and skip the record and damage it. Don’t ask me how I know.

This is all evidence supporting some of the reasons the product failed in the marketplace.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Here is a scan of the Dethlefson reprint. If there is an issue with not having permission to post it, please advise and I'll remove it. Converting the Schubert to 2-spring LP has been a project that hasn't yet made it to the top of my to-do list.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-9.jpg
Untitled-10.jpg
Untitled-11.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg
Untitled-13.jpg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Thanks for posting this. I will review my own installation to see that it matches everything shown here.

I will note as an addition to my comments above, that these instructions apply primarily when installing from a new LP kit. If you are re-installing a kit that had already been used on another machine, you may find that the adjustments to the rod mechanism have already been made and do not need to be reset.

As for copyright, this was published in 1927 without a copyright notice and therefore should be in the public domain. The only part of this that would be subject to copyright is Ron's text on the left page of the second image. (Usual disclaimer applies.)

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Before I got my C250 my friend Jerry Donnell pur an LP attachment on it I also got a 10 inch of hymns and a 12 inch by Anna Case.I eventually got an LP reproducer on Ebay. edisonplayer.

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

Thank you for posting the instructions. Greatly appreciated.