10-50X

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MarkELynch
Victor II

Re: 10-50X

Post by MarkELynch »

Hi George,

The most common cause of tone arm jamming which I know from experience, is also as noted in the Victor Service Notes:
“When playing as a non-automatic machine, it may be found that the tone arm will not swing freely when the index lever is turned to Victrola. Do not force the arm. Start the motor and allow the mechanism to complete its cycle.”

If this is not the case and assuming none of the parts have been bent (rare) the next thing to suspect is the adjustment of the tone arm collar on the tonearm. Loosen the adjustment clamp screw on the collar and force the collar down slightly while preventing it from rotating. Be careful here because the collar position controls other factors such as the 10/12” needle set-down. Check the instructions in the appendix of Look for the Dog or contact me for more details.

The other possibility is that the new tone arm collar casting is out-of-spec. The dimensions are critical to proper operation. As noted, this part controls many functions.

If you’d like to try a new casting I have perfect aluminum replicas available. They were designed to function correctly. Unlike other attempts they were NOT recast from swollen and out-of-spec original pot-metal parts. No-filing needed, ready to install!

Here is a close up of the trip mechanism. The Victrola setting is accomplished by the ratchet pawl being lifted clear of the ratchet by sliding under the index cam. Note the rounded end of the pawl.

Regarding Seth’s index lever not pointing the right way. That is because the internal pot-metal index assembly is broken and disconnected. Seth has asked me to send him a new assembly. We hope to have his machine up and running soon!

Contact me by email if you need more help.

Mark
15F2AFA5-E930-4B14-8023-94805FF49EF4.jpeg
B95715B5-454D-4765-B14B-F767082CB3C8.jpeg

MarkELynch
Victor II

Re: 10-50X

Post by MarkELynch »

Seth,

We’re you able to complete the restoration of your 10-50? It has a particularly lovely cabinet!

We are working on a few additional sets of Victor changer parts, they should be ready by the first of October.
Please contact us directly if you would like us to prepare a set for you.

Mark & Bronson
Victrolaparts@gmail.com