Victrola Pooley VTLA Database

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Victrola Pooley VTLA Database

Post by Django »

Silvertone wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:43 pm As was suggested by a previous poster, I contacted Paul Edie and received a file of his Pooley submissions. I have formatted the file for easier reading. I also edited the file to use the same nomenclature for the various features. I added the instruments mentioned in this thread but not from any previous threads, if any.

When Paul started gathering the data decades ago, he only recorded the serial number, but more recently he has recorded certain features of the instrument (in this case lid support style, etc.). The column marked "Verified" means that Paul either saw the instrument in person or saw good photographs of it in order to verify the features. If it does not indicate Verified, then it was a simple email submission to his website without pictures.

The mention of misalignment of the serial numbers means that the letters (V,T,L,A) were individual stamps and stamped sloppily one at a time (the same applies to the serial number). Later, Victor had a single stamp with all four letters and better holders for the serial number stamps.

One feature not recorded in this thread is the finish. You will note in the brochure that the instrument was available in either light or dark mahogany. I have personally only seen one example of the light finish, and have attached pictures. In person, it is strikingly different from the traditional Victrola mahogany finish.

I can update the document if there are more submissions or if an owner of the one of the instruments listed adds details.
Thank you for all of this. It is good and useful information. The machine that you show is serial number 788 and still has the needle draw, so it brings us closer to determining when the drawer was replaced by the needle cups inside the machine, (probably around #790, but oddly, #840 has a needle drawer). Only a prototype machine appears to be below “501”, so the first batch of 500 machines probably ends around #1000, (it would be nice to know if that is when the horn, motor and large drawer were changed).

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

There seems to be a correlation between the motor change and the horn and large storage drawer. It turns out that the later VTLA motor would have interfered with the early horn in that location. At some time, they dropped the horn down and this reduced the space available for the large drawer as well. I have to assume that all of these changes occurred because of the newer motor and occurred simultaneously. It would be nice to know when happened.

My early cabinet was missing the horn but fortunately for me, it still had the small casting of the early style horn. I was able to use the wooden portion of an original L-Door machines horn and graft that to an new aft portion made from solitary Mahogany. The motor from my Victor D fits, but the later VTLA motor does not. I installed the new horn this morning.
Attachments
4754CA9B-54C0-4E68-875E-46AD937A66D9.jpeg
3DA00972-6F96-4253-8579-4639F3D174E0.jpeg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

It's coming together and looking great! Hope you get your correct motor soon.

Andreas

Mpellicano
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Winding in West Florida

Post by Mpellicano »

Serial Number 658, elbow lid prop, hidden needle drawer, tall bottom drawer with pull, Vic VI motor, two small lid hinges, captured ball casters.
Attachments
IMG_20230808_223503559.jpg

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Did someone else start a database for flat top VTLA's? Thought I sent my serial number a few years back. Cannot reach it now to get the serial number again.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

alang wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:07 pm It's coming together and looking great! Hope you get your correct motor soon.

Andreas
I should have updated this a while back. I was able to get a motor and I did complete the machine.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Django wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:28 pm
alang wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:07 pm It's coming together and looking great! Hope you get your correct motor soon.

Andreas
I should have updated this a while back. I was able to get a motor and I did complete the machine.
That's awesome! Another rare and early machine saved from the brink.

Andreas