The New Historical Phono-Related Newspaper Articles and Advertisements Thread

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: The New Historical Phono-Related Newspaper Articles and Advertisements Thread

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Lucius1958 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:25 pm
AmberolaAndy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:44 am February 5th, 1981 - In the spring of 1980 an absolute fool put a S-19 on the curb. This girl’s SMART family took it into their care and did their best in a pre-eBay pre-internet world to fix it!
Not an S-19, from the description, but something much rarer: the early 'Sheraton' style cabinet (I forget the exact model designation) with the elaborate inlay! :o

After 40-odd years, I hope someone in the family still cherishes it!

- Bill
Yeah. I had a hunch I kinda had the model number wrong because I do know there was some sort of Sheraton model DD machine that wasn’t exactly an s-19 but it’s model number escapes me too.

One thing I’m glad is they didn’t assume the 1912 patent date was a manufacture date.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: The New Historical Phono-Related Newspaper Articles and Advertisements Thread

Post by AmberolaAndy »

May 13, 2005 - Dulcimer music being recorded on an Edison Triumph
Attachments
IMG_0906.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

June 11 1970 someone ties to sell some machines and I think whomever got the “1891 Edison cylinder player” and “1904 Victor victrola” were bamboozled when they found out the true dates of their machines.
Attachments
IMG_0908.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

February 13, 2001 - This is how members of this hobby are born. A young kid goes on a school field trip to learn about Edison, and sees a machine in action. A great example is Don’s recent thread about a young man getting his first machine.
Attachments
IMG_0909.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

November 4th, 1986 - another article about the thing that inspires a kid to become a collector!
Attachments
IMG_0910.jpeg
IMG_0911.jpeg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The story is almost certainly apocryphal, but this advertisement from August 1913 still amuses :
Attachments
Image (9).jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Advertisements featuring gramophones on the water are not unusual, but radios? Water and electricity don't mix.
Attachments
Image (2).jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:53 am Advertisements featuring gramophones on the water are not unusual, but radios? Water and electricity don't mix.
YIKES! What were they thinking? That’s as almost as goofy as that one Credenza advertisement where the guy is lifting a credenza up the stairs! 😂

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

This advertisement for Beecham's Pills is of more than passing interest to our field of collecting.
The famous conductor Sir Thomas Beecham was heir to the family fortune, and spent a great deal of it on his orchestral and operatic ventures. He was noted for his caustic wit, and this rebuke to a cellist whose playing displeased him is typical.
Attachments
Beecham's.jpg
cello.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

July 3rd 1970: Cylinders of Harry Houdini's voice discovered.
Attachments
The_Atlanta_Journal_Fri__Jul_3__1970_.jpg