Can you spot the painted part?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Re: Can you spot the painted part?

Post by Jonsheff »

Henry wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:00 pm I dunno, Jonsheff, but what happened to the spindle?

Nice oak XI-G. My mahogany G is slightly younger than yours, serial 370333G.
This was a mockup to show customer cabinet repairs, motor was still on bench waiting for replacement springs.
Last edited by Jonsheff on Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

JerryVan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:41 pm
Jonsheff wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:03 pm You got it, its the crank bushing. The crank is not painted, grinder wire brushed. All the rest is just cleaned and polished including the brake lever. Looking at the bushing, is very hard to tell its painted, it blends very well with the rest. I would never paint a tone arm.
Havee you considered getting parts replated? Given the high caliber of work that you do, spray painting and wire brushing are not on the same level.
This was not a full restore project. I quoted based on pictures but ended up fixing other things (water damaged lifted veneer on top, crank bushing missing insert, etc.) The crank was severly rusted and the crank bushing i used (added for free) was something i had in stock. This was machine you can pickup for $100 all day long so investing in replating would not be practical. Besides, the painted part in my opinion looks great and does not stand out as a painted part (the reason for the original post)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jonsheff wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 pm
JerryVan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:41 pm
Jonsheff wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:03 pm You got it, its the crank bushing. The crank is not painted, grinder wire brushed. All the rest is just cleaned and polished including the brake lever. Looking at the bushing, is very hard to tell its painted, it blends very well with the rest. I would never paint a tone arm.
Havee you considered getting parts replated? Given the high caliber of work that you do, spray painting and wire brushing are not on the same level.
This was not a full restore project.
Understood. A very nice job just the same. Thanks!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

This reminds me, Victor didn’t plate everything. In 1906, Victor put out a brochure for the new Pooley VTLA. Most parts were Gold plated, but some were Gold Lacquered.
Attachments
1F8E6ED9-CD04-42E1-AE61-295A9845D1F2.jpeg

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

Django wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm This reminds me, Victor didn’t plate everything. In 1906, Victor put out a brochure for the new Pooley VTLA. Most parts were Gold plated, but some were Gold Lacquered.
Thanks for the info, very good to know. I think their description of "heavy gold plating" may be a slight exaggeration. Typically if I have a part that has worn plating and doesn't fit in with the rest of the restoration, i normally replace the part (normally tone arms) with another in better condition purchased on eBay or from someone on this forum. I have seen re-plated parts and many times the plating doesn't match the original, are there any recommendation on who does re-plating period correct? I may consider doing that down the road for select projects.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jonsheff wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm
Django wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm This reminds me, Victor didn’t plate everything. In 1906, Victor put out a brochure for the new Pooley VTLA. Most parts were Gold plated, but some were Gold Lacquered.
Thanks for the info, very good to know. I think their description of "heavy gold plating" may be a slight exaggeration. Typically if I have a part that has worn plating and doesn't fit in with the rest of the restoration, i normally replace the part (normally tone arms) with another in better condition purchased on eBay or from someone on this forum. I have seen re-plated parts and many times the plating doesn't match the original, are there any recommendation on who does re-plating period correct? I may consider doing that down the road for select projects.
The trouble with most new gold plating, is that it looks like jewelry. The correct look is a matte, brushed finish. I'm told that Nashville Plating Service does it right, but I have not used them myself.