Diamond Disc Reproducer Leaving Trail

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Diamond Disc Reproducer Leaving Trail

Post by MikeB »

This diamond disc reproducer is leaving a trail of rust-colored dust on the record. It wipes off and am not sure if there is any damage to the record. Is this caused by a bad or dirty diamond or is this simply dirt that is being freed from the grooves as it played? I looked at it with a loop. I thought that the diamond may be gone, but it is in there and the machine is making decent sound. (I suspect that the diamond is bad, so I am using a test record for the picture that was already damaged.)
Attachments
IMG_6917.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Diamond Disc Reproducer Leaving Trail

Post by 52089 »

I would suggest properly cleaning both the record and the diamond and trying again. I don't like the look of that though, and I find it hard to believe the grooves are not being damaged. You can also put the diamond down in the blank runoff of a clean record and see if it is marking the disc. If it is, the diamond is bad and will need to be replaced.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Since 2022 I have been having difficulties keeping a manufacturer’s because of supply issues and labor issues. I do have some good news, I have a laboratory, making a test run of new diamonds for me. I’ll notify the group when they are completed.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Your diamond is bad and it's scoring the record.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Looks like the diamond is chipped to me!

The brown matter is likely the bits of condensite being chisseled by the jagged sharp edge of the broken diamond.

I would suggest not play any more records until after examining the stylus closely under a microscope.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

As others have already said, you stylus is toast. 9 of 10 DD reproducers found in the wild need a new stylus so not a surprise.

Also, you limit pin appears to be pressed against the body of the reproducer. That pin should float in the middle of the limit loop when the reproducer is lowered. You need to adjust the post on which your horn pivots upward by a quarter inch or so.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Also, you limit pin appears to be pressed against the body of the reproducer. That pin should float in the middle of the limit loop when the reproducer is lowered. You need to adjust the post on which your horn pivots upward by a quarter inch or so.
Good eye!

Please post a photo clearly showing the position of the pin when the reproducer is lowered. If the reproducer is dropping too low and bearing on the limit pin, it may be driving the stylus into the record surface.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

The reproducer is riding in the correct position, so I am sure that it's the stylus.