Chamberlain Needles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Chamberlain Needles

Post by Ben the phono man »

I've mostly always bought chamberlains, and recently i've noticed that when i use a fresh needle, its almost always a loud tone or medium tone needle, the sound seems to cut out and distort? This does not occur with NOS needles or most soft tones. I've tried them on all my machines and the same thing happens every time. This is especially prevalent when i use a fresh batch of chamberlain medium tones. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks, Ben
- Ben

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Chamberlain Needles

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The Siren Spear Point ones were always the worst offenders in that regard for me--I used to only buy Chamberlains but I have been buying from a different source too for my loud, medium, & soft. I no longer use Siren needles as they are too loud for my machine.

Ben the phono man
Victor II

Thanks for the reply! Where do you buy your needles? I'm Running pretty low.

Thanks, Ben
- Ben

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I got mine from The Phonograph Shop, in North Carolina. He's sold out as of time of writing, January 21 2023, but the store is the phonograph shop after all and whoever heard of a phonograph shop with no needles? I'm sure he will get them back in.

We just lost Wyatt's Musical Americana when Mr Dwayne Wyatt died. It is bad to lose a parts house; it is worse to lose a gentleman. I liked talking with him on the phone.

Mr George Vollema of Great Lakes Antique Phonograph was always a good source to get parts; doubtless he's got needles available. Not sure who he gets them from.

I used to like Chamberlain needles best, but am starting to think these needles are too heavily plated or something; it's like they do not feel sharp as NOS Victor needles. The Chamberlain soft tone is still really great, though, and generally I like medium tones from a lot of makers. They sound good & will fit weird machines like the Columbia analyzing reproducers.

https://thephonographshop.com/products/ ... ba54&_ss=r

Ben the phono man
Victor II

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. Any other brands on ebay and the like that you buy and have good experiences with? I'll definitely check out Thephonographshop's stuff. I mainly use medium and loud tone needles.

Thanks again, Ben
- Ben

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I've been relatively happy with Bry-O-Phonic needles, but they don't seem to be available anymore. They used to be on eBay. Anyone know the story on them?

Sounds like the Chamberlain needles are just wearing out before the end of the record?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

There were some needles made and sold in the UK around 20 to 30 years ago (at a guess) which were insufficiently hardened and wore out part way through the record. They were sold in clear plastic tubular boxes labelled with the old Songster design as seen on original English needle tins from the 20s/30s. They still turn up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164521113005 and are best avoided IMHO. I remember getting in touch with the manufacturers and a director insisting it was impossible for a steel needle to be worn down by a record! The tone of the response indicated that mine was not the first complaint.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Googling for Chamberlain needles for curiosity sake I found this interesting website
http://www.myoldphonograph.com/
it has an interesting section with adverts (many) of lots of off brand machines. Kinda JR Wakeman's articles on the 263 American manufacturers of phonographs.
The site adverts and sells these needles.
Inigo

Ben the phono man
Victor II

The chamberlains I have now (medium tones) are probably the worst offenders as of yet, they wear out in a few seconds of the record and are already distorting, extremely frustrating.... Does anyone know of another place to get needles?

Thanks, Ben
- Ben

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Frustrated at finding a reliable source for good quality needles in Canada, I went to member Soundgen's website and ordered a variety of needles from him.

https://www.soundgen.co.uk/2019/03/soun ... edles.html

There was relatively quick service considering the trans-Atlantic and trans-North-American shipping required..

There was excellent quality control in the production of these needles--not a single defective one was found.

Some of the needles I was buying here had so many problems that I have taken to culling all packages of new needles using a jewellers loupe to examine the tips. In some packages bought here, I was tossing up to 60% of the needles--they had badly malformed tips.

Again there were no defects found, at all, in the Soundgen needles. I can't say they sound better than good needles (with no defects) I have occasionally found out of some US sources (unfortunately with intermittent shortages of stock), but they do sound just as good. Very nice.
Last edited by Lah Ca on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.