DON GFELL RIP

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JimN
Victor I

Re: DON GFELL RIP

Post by JimN »

I was so impressed with Don Gfell's house that I drove by to look at it next to his phono store in Milan (during the Lynn Bilton show in Ohio in 8/2021). The exterior of Don's house is a replica of Edison's lab in West Orange, NJ. I am attaching a pic of his house and shop from Google Maps. (click on picture to enlarge)

Jim Nichol
Attachments
Don Gfell house and shop.jpg

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

As many others have said, Don was a wonderful guy and he had a lot of knowledge that he readily shared with others. He had a wonderful collection and it was a pleasure to see it. The wonderful wood horns he made will endure past many of us. Bobbie, like many of out wives was a saint for not only putting up with all his stuff but for also jumping right in and being a partner in the business.

When Rudolph Valentino died, there was a popular song written, titled, "There's a new star in Heaven tonight". Well, I think there is a new star right next his with Don's smiling face on it.

God bless Don. It won't be long before a number of of us come and visit.

Ken Danckaert

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

I, too, am very sad to hear of Don’s passing. I have a wonderful mahogany horn I bought from Don that’s on the Opera to remind me of him but I also enjoyed his company at the phonograph shows and once a year I would drop in on him and his wife at their Ohio home and have a great visit. I would leave with a few treasures from their store also.

I will miss you my friend!

Ron

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Just as a reminder to all, Don had an established scholarship fund and Bobbie will be heartened and grateful for any and all contributions:

Don Gfell Scholarship
c/o Edison Local Schools Citizenship & Education Foundation
140 South Main Street
Milan, Ohio 44846

Raphael

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

He was truly a joy. At the last Union show, we were set up 2 booths away. At one point we were both impersonating the announcement from our favorite Edison cylinders. Just thinking about it brings me a smile. He will be greatly missed.
Mike Wohl

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

A brief visitation and Mass wiill be held this morning. There will be a memorial service sometime in the future. I thought it appropriate to publish Don's obituary here:

quote:

Donald L. Gfell, 81, longtime resident of Milan, passed away Saturday, January 21, 2023 at Stein Hospice Care Center after a brief illness.

Don was born on January 9, 1942 in Monroeville, OH to the late Edward L. and Zelma M. (Haynes) Gfell.

Don graduated from Milan High School in 1960 and received his Bachelor of Science in Education degree from Bowling Green State University. He continued his education and received his Masters in Education from the University of Minnesota. Throughout his career, he worked as both an educator and a school administrator, eventually retiring after fifteen years of service as the Superintendent of Schools for Edison Local Schools. Don was affectionately known as "Edison Man," and was an incredibly active member of his community. Along with his loving wife of 61 years, Bobbie, he was the owner and operator of Sights and Sounds of Edison antique store in Milan. He was generous beyond words, especially with his time, serving as a Past President of the Milan Rotary Club, an active member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Milan, and was a longtime board member of the Edison Birthplace Museum. His love of education helped him create the C&E Foundation which has grown to offering numerous scholarships to Edison High School graduating seniors. Don had a true passion for Thomas Edison memorabilia, and was one of the only individuals currently designing and hand-building reproductions of the wood horns for these phonographs. His interest in Thomas Edison and his community also led him to become instrumental in placing the statue of Thomas Edison to represent Ohio in Statuary Hall at the Capital Building in Washington D.C. By leading a committee which won the contest to update one of two statues in Statuary Hall, Don then commissioned a sculptor and the Edison statue was placed in 2016.

A teacher by nature, "Gramps," as he was known to family, embraced every opportunity to make learning fun and interesting in the classroom, at home, and on the road. In sharing his fascinating Edison collection and wealth of knowledge, Don's positive outlook and upbeat personality was truly infectious. He never gave up on anyone - always seeing the good side of others. On numerous travels across the country, Don would run into someone he knew everywhere he went. He had a big personality and effortlessly engaged with all who crossed his path. Most importantly though, was his family. Don grew up extremely family oriented, and treasured the time he spent with his children and grandchildren.

Don is survived by his wife, Bobbie (Rockwell) Gfell; children, Ann (Tim) Spurrier of Concord Township, OH and Greg (Cheril Walker) Gfell of Kent, OH; six grandchildren, Eli (Ally), Ben, Noah, Patrick, Mason and Christian; sisters, Mary Simon and Rose Reinbolt, both of Norwalk, OH; brothers, Tom (Nancy) Gfell of Milan, OH, Fred (Joyce) Gfell of Milan, OH, and John Gfell of Norwalk, OH; and numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives, and special friends.

Friends may call on Saturday, January 28, 2023 from 9:30 am until the time of a Memorial Mass of Christian Burial at 10:30 am at St. Mary Mother of Redeemer Church, 38 W. League St., Norwalk with Francis Mariadas presiding. Burial in Milan Cemetery and a Celebration of Life will take place at a later date. Groff Funeral Homes & Crematory, Milan, is assisting the family with arrangements.

Those wishing to contribute to Donald's memory may do so to Don Gfell Scholarship c/o Edison Local Schools Citizenship & Education Foundation, 140 South Main Street, Milan, Ohio 44846.

unquote

Rarely in life does one encounter a person as universally loved as Don.

Raphael

krkey1
Victor I
Personal Text: Kris

Post by krkey1 »

I have not been around for awhile now but when I heard of Don's death I came over. He was a wonderful person and the world is diminished by his death.

JLH
Victor O

Post by JLH »

So sorry to hear of Don's passing. My condolences to his family. I very much enjoyed my conversations and visits with Don over the last few years. Just a couple years ago he did a fantastic job repairing two oak Edison horns for me. Just a swell guy who will be missed!

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Don was a Giant in the hobby! His horns helped me finish many projects. He was always kind and generous with his time, no matter how insignificant the question. Don will be truly missed. My condolences to his family.

Sincerely, Bob Schuljak

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Had a long talk with Bobbie this morning. She was her usual lively and bubbly self; I suspect the reality hasn't hit her yet. She's busy with all sorts of details as can be expected. The shop is now permanently closed and she will attempt to return any works in progress to their rightful owners.

I passed along the heartfelt wishes of everybody in the phonograph community. She told me that her little town of Milan, down to the last person, is in shock and sadness.

I hope that she can successfully move on to this next phase of her life, without Don, but with the fond memories so many years of marriage and raising a family that will always be with her.

Raphael