Differences Between Edison A250 and B250

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Differences Between Edison A250 and B250

Post by MikeB »

I was wondering what changes were made to the Edison A250 motor and cabinet when it changed to the B250. I've read that there were some cost-cutting measures done. I picked up this beautiful oak A250, and the cabinetry is better than I've seen in other Diamond Disc machines.
Attachments
IMG_6909 (3).jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Differences Between Edison A250 and B250

Post by phonogfp »

There is no significant difference between the cabinets of the A250 and B250. They are of consistently high quality, manufactured by several reputable furniture companies.

The major difference between the two models is the appearance of the New Standardized Motor in the B250. The motor plates of the B250 were painted a deep maroon (at least on the mahogany versions) and the paint holds up much better than that used on the A-series. The B250 horns and lift tubes are painted black, and handles on the cranks and lift levers phased to black paint rather than matched to the cabinets. During B250 production, the reproducers transitioned from the 4-screw plate plate style to the more common form with the stylus bar pivots integral to the weight.

The B250 is found far less frequently than the A250. If only they had retained the nice grained horns!

George P.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Do we know whether either or both were ever shipped with grille cloth installed? And if so, is there a correlation with the disappearance of the woodgrained horn?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

PeterF wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:20 pm Do we know whether either or both were ever shipped with grille cloth installed? And if so, is there a correlation with the disappearance of the woodgrained horn?
All I can offer is that my Amberola III (with grained horn) and A150 (with grained horn) originally had a grille cloth, as did my B250.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:36 pm
PeterF wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:20 pm Do we know whether either or both were ever shipped with grille cloth installed? And if so, is there a correlation with the disappearance of the woodgrained horn?
All I can offer is that my Amberola III (with grained horn) and A150 (with grained horn) originally had a grille cloth, as did my B250.

George P.
I have/had A-250s and A-150s with original grill cloth. I've also seen the early Amberolas with tattered grill clothes. I really don't know why it was thought needed with the beautiful wood grained horns. I'm also not sure they all came with cloths. I've inspected many an Amberola or A series disc machine with seemingly no trace of a cloth on the grill.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Yeah I have two grained-horn/cloth combos - an extremely original Amberola V with glue and threads on the inside of the grille where the cloth had been, and an A-150 with a tattered but still acceptable cloth.

Obviously someone needs to go comb the records in Orange, and find the entry where they lay off the Graining Guy or Gal.