My first machine of 2023! (My oldest one yet!!!)👍

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: My first machine of 2023! (My oldest one yet!!!)👍

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok! I got the mechanism to play a record! It’s a lil warbly I dunno if that’s because of the Governor or belt?

I’m also probably going to make a Yankee Trader section post for a belt cover and speed control screw. (I think I ordered the incorrect one)

Here’s the video!

https://youtu.be/QQ9Y1fPexbM

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok we now have a base and a lid but now I got 2 problems.

1. the case came with no screws or bolts to secure the mechanism to the case

2. The speed control I ordered was for the wrong model, it does work but it’s too long and awkward looking on the machine.
Attachments
A1A265B6-DDC5-4087-84FE-F946DA97AD2E.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:07 pm Ok! I got the mechanism to play a record! It’s a lil warbly I dunno if that’s because of the Governor or belt?

I’m also probably going to make a Yankee Trader section post for a belt cover and speed control screw. (I think I ordered the incorrect one)

Here’s the video!

https://youtu.be/QQ9Y1fPexbM
Nice! Great record!

The warble may be due to the lumpy seam in your drive belt.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Another issue I’m having is with the Start/stop lever. No matter how much I attempt to tighten that screw that’s supposed to hold it, it just won’t stay put, It’s just too loose. It won’t hold the governor when I’m winding it and it slips when I’m playing a record and causes the record to slow down…do I have to bend it to get it to stay in place?

I made a video showing my problem as I play a celluloid record on my machine.

https://youtu.be/nZ4W6sZYTt8

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

HAPPY NEWS! An ACE hardware has opened up in my town! FINALLY all the stuff I need to restore machines is in walking distance near me!

Now I definitely can take on repairs and restoration of machines I feel unstoppable now! :twisted: 😈
Attachments
70794309642__03DA93A5-92FE-43BB-8EDA-7782B032E1AE.jpeg

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:29 pm Ok we now have a base and a lid but now I got 2 problems.

2. The speed control I ordered was for the wrong model, it does work but it’s too long and awkward looking on the machine.
Hi,

I can tell from your picture that the stop lever is bent. It should lay perfectly flat so that it can engage a small bump that is part of the outer side plate. The little bump is what holds the lever in place.
That is how my machine SN 144171 is set up - there should also be 3 thin rubber washers between the metal base and the wood. Held in by the 3 wood screws.

BTW, Many decades ago I bought a model Q from antique dealer that thought because it used Rosenthal (?) language cylinders then that was all it could play. Seems to me she was asking only 17 dollars for it and several records included so I bought it on the spot. Could hardly believe my good luck !

Best of luck with yours !!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

pallophotophone wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:55 am
AmberolaAndy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:29 pm Ok we now have a base and a lid but now I got 2 problems.

Hi,

I can tell from your picture that the stop lever is bent. It should lay perfectly flat so that it can engage a small bump that is part of the outer side plate. The little bump is what holds the lever in place.
That is how my machine SN 144171 is set up - there should also be 3 thin rubber washers between the metal base and the wood. Held in by the 3 wood screws.

BTW, Many decades ago I bought a model Q from antique dealer that thought because it used Rosenthal (?) language cylinders then that was all it could play. Seems to me she was asking only 17 dollars for it and several records included so I bought it on the spot. Could hardly believe my good luck !

Best of luck with yours !!
What part is bent? It’s the part that’s screwed on or the part with the pad on it? Can I have an image of what it’s supposed to look like?

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

The part of the lever that is screwed to the side plate. It must be perfectly flat !