Antique Phonograph Society? Yes or No?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
1923VictorFan
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm not better than you, I'm just different from you in ways that are better..

Antique Phonograph Society? Yes or No?

Post by 1923VictorFan »

Hi All, I searched to find earlier posts on this topic but found none. My question is whether or not, as a 30 year long amateur, there is any benefit to joining The AFS or should I just buy some more records with the $35? I'm sure some of you must be members and my question is sincere.
It's not that I'm better than you. I'm just different from you in a way that's better. - Russel Brand

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Antique Phonograph Society? Yes or No?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

1923VictorFan wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:58 pm Hi All, I searched to find earlier posts on this topic but found none. My question is whether or not, as a 30 year long amateur, there is any benefit to joining The AFS or should I just buy some more records with the $35? I'm sure some of you must be members and my question is sincere.
It’s totally worth it. You get all the fanzines going back to the 1940s and 50s and you get a great quarterly magazine with interesting articles and other period ephemera!

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

If you are a devoted phonograph collector, interested in supporting the efforts of a group of volunteers who are doing their best to further the hobby for the benefit of all of us, then I would say YES. APS is also the driving force behind two of the major phonograph shows in the USA: the Midwest show in Illinois in June and the California show in August. These shows do not make a profit for the APS. Without the APS, these shows might fade away.

The APS quarterly journal is highly regarded. The most knowledgeable people in the hobby share their insights, research and experiences. While I have to admit that not every single article is a "must read" for me, more often than not, I enjoy most of the articles, and usually learn something I had not discovered in 50 plus years of collecting.

I have been a member of APS since it merged with MAPS some years ago.
Best regards ... AZ*

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

YES!!!! You won't regret joining.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Anyone not a member of the APS can't be considered a serious phonograph collector in my view so basically you are doing yourself a disservice by not being a member.

Blizz

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

What the heck does $35 get you these days besides a crappy dinner (for one) out or half-tank of gas. If you’re into phonographs and a member of this Forum, then you shouldn’t even be asking.

Raphael

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I am not really sure why I delayed in joining. I just signed up! I am excited to browse through the website/forum and see what else I can learn.

David

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Absolutely. You'll never know what you're missing until you discover it for yourself.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Lee
Victor I

Post by Lee »

If you are a collector of any type of mechanical music device or even just the type of person interested in anything nostalgic, then you should absolutely consider becoming a member of the Antique Phonograph Society. The APS is constantly improving and provides a wonderful opportunity for its members to exchange ideas and just plain have good old-fashioned fun! You can't go wrong with a membership. :)

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

I certainly look forward to every issue - I always learn something, and see machines I didn't know existed. I think the membership fee is a bargain given the quality of of the publication, and look forward to seeing fellow collectors at the show in June.