Antique Phonograph Society? Yes or No?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Antique Phonograph Society? Yes or No?

Post by Valecnik »

Absolutely worth it. You won't regret it. In case you are not aware, below are links to thier website and forum where you can join.

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/

https://forum.antiquephono.org/

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'm waiting for joining after college mostly because it's not really straightforward to collect seriously in senior year. If I was doing a lot more with antiques it'd be something that I would be all over.

I haven't joined the APS Forum yet because I think the more people use the Talking Machine Forum, the longer it will be on the Web. It's not such a bad site even though we lost our photo files. It's a bit like an archive for the phonograph community as well (and would be nice if we had our pictures.)

If I was more involved in the research side of phonographs, I would probably be in that, but as it is I just enjoy the camaraderie and don't own an electric record player so I hang out here. Will probably see about membership in the APS Forum post college though as it would mean more time for phonograph stuff.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

The original post noted that the question was sincere.... And, I will attempt to give a sincere and objective opinion.

I have found all fellow phonograph collectors that I have met on this forum to be a kind and welcoming group. However, as a historian, author, and collector, I have wrestled with the same dilemma. Unfortunately, I belong to the "40 and under" crowd, so time does not allow me to travel the country to attend the national shows. (However, I do hope to attend the NC show coming up in March.... finally.... :D ) Translation: I work all the time and any free time is spent tinkering around the house or working on... guess what... phonographs. ;)

If you are not going to be able to attend shows and enjoy the social part of the hobby, the dilemma begins! I have been a member in the past and time has gotten away from me, so I don't think I renewed this year. That is my fault, I simply didn't hop online and pay the renewal fee. So, if you are little introverted or your schedule prevents you from attending shows, you need to decide if it worth the $35 worth getting the quarterly magazine and interacting with your fellow collectors over on the designated website. However, keep in mind, you can interact with fellow collectors on Facebook and this forum at no cost....

So, there you go - an objective opinion, for what it is worth. :D And, I want to stress, my interaction with the Antique Phonograph Society has been nothing but pleasant, they are a great group of people working hard to promote the hobby. If you can spare the $35, it is money well spent just to support that effort! However, If the economy has you pinching pennies right now, I understand....
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:16 pmI think the more people use the Talking Machine Forum, the longer it will be on the Web.
I don't think so, the owner is long, long gone and the person who was looking after the tech side hasn't responded to any communication, encouragement, pleading, complaints, offers of help, offers to take over, money, etc for many months. I think there's a real risk this forum could just freeze or disappear without warning one of these days.

I'm seriously considering joining the APS but am in England so the cost is that much greater and times are very tough financially. Personally, if there were a lower cost option with the magazine being online-only (even the regular $35 as opposed to $60 for overseas membership) I'd probably take it.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

I should probably put in a plug for CAPS, The Canadian Antique Phonograph Society.

It is much more modest than APS, largely because Canada's population is only about the size of that of California.

CAPS now has Zoom links to their meetings, which are held in Ontario. Things here are very low key, friendly, cheerful, mildly disorganised (in a charming way), and mostly fun.

There is a publication, available on line or in print, depending upon which membership option you choose. The publication tends to have a focus on Canadian things but not exclusively so.

Membership fees are modest.

https://www.capsnews.org

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I am an active CLPGS member, Chairman of the West of England Group and a regular contributor of magazine articles.
I was also an APS member for a few years.

The APS magazine is a splendid publication, but the APS is of course an American society with a mainly American membership. Eventually I decided that it was not for me. Compared to the CLPGS it seemed to lack the input of ordinary members, such as a letters section.

One example of the difference in emphasis concerns auctions. Many pages of the APS magazine were devoted to high end auctioneer's advertisements, but I never saw any reports of the auctions or the prices realised. By contrast, the Editor of the CLPGS magazine is an auctioneer by profession and is a regular contributor of auction reports. His comments on the items, their condition and their values are an education.

Finally I take exception to the comment by Blizz that "anyone not a member of the APS cannot be considered a serious collector".
That comment is of doubtful validity even in the USA. In the world outside the USA it is totally without merit.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Your comparisons are interesting and perhaps the powers that be at APS will see some merit in them. But be careful about criticizing Gary Blizzard, I understand he bites.

But seriously folks, all this discussion about whether or not to make a $35 investment in your hobby? No wonder APS, MBSI, NAWCC and other collecting societies are suffering. At least APS seems to be holding its own, but for how long if people won’t forgo a hamburger and a couple of beers to cover the cost of membership.

Raphael

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I'm happy this thread appeared. It reminded me to re-up on my APS membership, which I had not done for longer than I care to admit!

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:16 pm Will probably see about membership in the APS Forum post college though as it would mean more time for phonograph stuff.
The APS forum is free and does not require an APS membership. The APS main site has free content and much more if you are a member. But, the APS Forum has a separate login/membership and is open to anyone to join for no cost at all.

https://forum.antiquephono.org/

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Very well
I'm in the process of setting up an APS Forum account, at least, but do not plan to make the $35 fee until after college and situated in life--it would be nice, at least, to have my own mailbox before I start getting my own magazines. It was hard enough to get my copies of The American Organist.