Conversations with Collectors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: Conversations with Collectors

Post by 52089 »

There's a "how did you get started" thread on the board. Perhaps that would give you some ideas.

Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Post by Ben the phono man »

Hello again everyone,

if anyone has interest in taking part of this project, Please either Pm, email me, or leave a reply here to sign up! I am adding everyones names and cities to a spreadsheet. For the sake of privacy, This spreadsheet will not be shared with anyone else but myself.

Thanks for your support
- Ben

rbuck
Victor Jr

Post by rbuck »

TinfoilPhono wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:52 am Mark Ulano did a series of videos about 25 years ago (on VHS tape), highlighting major collectors. I wish those were digitized and available online. A similar video project today would be very interesting indeed. If you come to the San Francisco area, let me know. I've been in the hobby for 62 years, so I guess I qualify as a old-timer!
The VHS tapes have been digitized and sold on DVD for a brief period of time perhaps 5-10 years ago. I have not seen them since.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Ben the phono man wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:19 pm Hello again everyone,

if anyone has interest in taking part of this project, Please either Pm, email me, or leave a reply here to sign up! I am adding everyones names and cities to a spreadsheet. For the sake of privacy, This spreadsheet will not be shared with anyone else but myself.

Thanks for your support
I'd be happy to talk to you and share phono stories, such as I have, but note that although I've been at it for what will be a half-century this year, I'm more "music collector who likes old machines and has them to play his records" than die-hard machine collector. No secret that I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC.

Liamhamb30
Victor O

Post by Liamhamb30 »

Y'know Ben this would be a great thing to discuss with Jack Stanley. Jack and Gavin Rice already do a sort of podcast thingy like this called "Cuttin the Grooves of History (With Two Sharp Needles)" so perhaps you could get in contact with them and arrange some things? Maybe you'd be able to be a guest on their show and get some insight out of that! And definitely be ready to do interviews at Wayne, that'll be a goldmine for this idea of yours.
Liam Hood

Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Post by Ben the phono man »

Liamhamb30 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:01 am Y'know Ben this would be a great thing to discuss with Jack Stanley. Jack and Gavin Rice already do a sort of podcast thingy like this called "Cuttin the Grooves of History (With Two Sharp Needles)" so perhaps you could get in contact with them and arrange some things? Maybe you'd be able to be a guest on their show and get some insight out of that! And definitely be ready to do interviews at Wayne, that'll be a goldmine for this idea of yours.
Liam,

Excellent Idea. I will talk to them both at the show in April, looking forward to seeing you there as well.

Thanks,
- Ben