Conversations with Collectors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Conversations with Collectors

Post by Ben the phono man »

Hello All,

After Learning of the recent passings of some very well regarded figures in our community, I was inspired to begin a recording project in which I travel to collectors houses/places and record our conversations. My main goal is to hear stories about adventures looking for machines, how the older collectors started collecting, who their mentors were. And sometime in the future, I would love to have the transcripts of a big project like this published in the antique phonograph! I believe something like this would create a great bonding experience and close the gap between many of the younger collectors and the older, veteran collectors. If anyone has any interest in being part of this project, please PM me! If I am ever in anyone's area in my travels, I would be happy to stop by and record a conversation or two. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

Thanks as always,
- Ben

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Conversations with Collectors

Post by travisgreyfox »

Sounds like a good project. Invest in a high-quality mic (or 2) to take along with you. If your ever in the Pittsburgh area send me a message, I'm always down to talk about phonographs and records.

-Travis

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

If you ever pass through Knoxville Tn, you’re welcome to stop by my place!

David

Ben the phono man
Victor II

travisgreyfox wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:33 am Sounds like a good project. Invest in a high-quality mic (or 2) to take along with you. If your ever in the Pittsburgh area send me a message, I'm always down to talk about phonographs and records.

-Travis
Thanks Travis!

I sure will! I'm going to start putting names down on a spreadsheet!
- Ben

Ben the phono man
Victor II

dzavracky wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 am If you ever pass through Knoxville Tn, you’re welcome to stop by my place!

David
I'll let you know! Adding your name to the spreadsheet! Thanks for the response!
- Ben

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

travisgreyfox wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:33 am ... Invest in a high-quality mic (or 2) to take along with you. ...
The best bet would be something like this: https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-rec ... -recorder/

Such units put recorder and mikes in one compact package, and this one is driven by standard AAA batteries (keep a couple of spares, and you'll have no worries about a proprietary battery pack needing recharging just at the wrong moment). The audio results will better what you'd get from a cell phone; although overkill for recording voice, it would be excellent if someone wanted to demo some machines.

Or you may want to consider video recording to get "film" of machines in action, but I don't know how some might feel about doing interviews "on camera."

Come to think of it, why is travel necessary? If all you want is interviews, they could be done by phone. Even by Zoom, I suppose, if you want to get high-tech about it.

Ben the phono man
Victor II

drh wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 am
travisgreyfox wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:33 am ... Invest in a high-quality mic (or 2) to take along with you. ...
The best bet would be something like this: https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-rec ... -recorder/

Such units put recorder and mikes in one compact package, and this one is driven by standard AAA batteries (keep a couple of spares, and you'll have no worries about a proprietary battery pack needing recharging just at the wrong moment). The audio results will better what you'd get from a cell phone; although overkill for recording voice, it would be excellent if someone wanted to demo some machines.

Or you may want to consider video recording to get "film" of machines in action, but I don't know how some might feel about doing interviews "on camera."

Come to think of it, why is travel necessary? If all you want is interviews, they could be done by phone. Even by Zoom, I suppose, if you want to get high-tech about it.
I suppose I could do it on zoom, But I think it takes some of the fun out of it. I also want to hear machines play and see these great collections in person. Thanks for the advice, I have bought a similar recorder.
- Ben

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Mark Ulano did a series of videos about 25 years ago (on VHS tape), highlighting major collectors. I wish those were digitized and available online. A similar video project today would be very interesting indeed. If you come to the San Francisco area, let me know. I've been in the hobby for 62 years, so I guess I qualify as a old-timer!

Ben the phono man
Victor II

TinfoilPhono wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:52 am Mark Ulano did a series of videos about 25 years ago (on VHS tape), highlighting major collectors. I wish those were digitized and available online. A similar video project today would be very interesting indeed. If you come to the San Francisco area, let me know. I've been in the hobby for 62 years, so I guess I qualify as a old-timer!
I would love to see those as well. I've always wanted to make a visit to San Francisco, maybe someday! Thanks!
- Ben

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Leah Biehl also made some twenty years ago a nice video of many collectors and members of ARSC, 78-L and the like.... Her father, Mike Biehl, still can be contacted through 78-L. Many people of that list have moved to the several FB groups, but they still keep an eye on the old list.
Inigo