your museum?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

your museum?

Post by emerson »

With all the interesting machines and with the passing of some of "The Legends" from the Phonograph World. I wonder was there a hope that all of us might have, to have our machines on display for others to enjoy, as well as having history kept available to view---a museum? With a note of recognition---From The "John Doe" Collection?

Garret
Victor IV

Re: your museum?

Post by Garret »

There's already actually a decent number of phonograph museums.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

100% yes....

I am from originally from Hampton Roads, VA which is home to the Jamestown/Wiliamsburg/Yorktown area and live within an hour. I have been exposed to historical sites and museums my whole life. It is my sincere hope to see my collection, or a portion of it, go to a museum one day. As a matter of fact, I have already started on a "concept." I am fully aware that my common machines may possibly end up at an auction house or charity shop... but, I don't see any reason why my Granby collection would not find a home in close proximity to Newport News or Norfolk, where the company was originally based. Any other high end or "unique" machines would compliment the Granby collection - probably enough to fill a nice size living room.

I know that many fellow collectors may consider this a little unrealistic, but my geographic area is very historical/tourism oriented and I think this can be done.... I am pretty determined, too - you can do anything you put your mind to....
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

It's funny, I was actually reached out to by a local museum who saw one of my Craigslist ads. They were asking if I had a machine that would fit their exhibit. It's a museum in Montgomery, VT and they were the home to the factory that made shipping crates for the Victor Talking Machine Co. They were looking for a suitable machine to go with one of the crates they have on display. At the moment they have an upright Edison player that someone found at a fire station benefit auction or something. I had a VV-X that was my first upright but had since been displaced in my house by much nicer, less common machines. I had brought it to my school and it was being stored in my classroom. It will now find it's place in an area museum and I'm so happy it will have a place where it won't get bumped and scuffed and trashed by the custodians moving stuff around every summer!

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Dischoard wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 am It's funny, I was actually reached out to by a local museum who saw one of my Craigslist ads. They were asking if I had a machine that would fit their exhibit. It's a museum in Montgomery, VT and they were the home to the factory that made shipping crates for the Victor Talking Machine Co. They were looking for a suitable machine to go with one of the crates they have on display. At the moment they have an upright Edison player that someone found at a fire station benefit auction or something. I had a VV-X that was my first upright but had since been displaced in my house by much nicer, less common machines. I had brought it to my school and it was being stored in my classroom. It will now find it's place in an area museum and I'm so happy it will have a place where it won't get bumped and scuffed and trashed by the custodians moving stuff around every summer!
Awesome! I am glad to hear that there are museums that do have a place for some of these common machines. I know you're scenario was pretty "unique" with the shipping crate exhibit - but it does give us hope!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I gave a nice little VV-80 to our local Historical Society.

It had a Mason’s Music dealer tag, Claremont, NH., so they were happy to get a machine from a long gone local music store.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Montgomery Vermont is way up there, not that far from Canada. I guess I had seen that city associated with Victor crates. But didn't think about it the times I stayed up there.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Skihawx wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:20 am Montgomery Vermont is way up there, not that far from Canada. I guess I had seen that city associated with Victor crates. But didn't think about it the times I stayed up there.
I'm surprised you haven't been skiing at Jay Peak which is just up the road from there. We drive through Montgomery each Sunday when we go winter hiking on Jay. Haven't seen the museum yet myself but will get some photos when I do.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

My town’s museum has a 1917 model VV-XI and used to have a cylinder machine but it wasn’t part of the Museum anymore as of the early 2010s.