Turn table shaft bearing

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Turn table shaft bearing

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hello !
Looking for your help in having the picture of the bearing which rests in the tiny hole in the Victrola frame where the bottom of turn table shaft goes in. Is there a particular name for that bearing? Any particular source?

Thanking you
Sheraz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Turn table shaft bearing

Post by Jerry B. »

Victrola spindles turn on a small ball bearing that fits down the spindle hole along with a bit of grease.

Jerry B.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Thanks for your input. I will appreciate if you could send me a picture and suggest a source. Thanks

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

It's only a guess, but I think it's likely that this ball bearing is a standard off the shelf size. I had a similar issue with two Garrard motors which had both lost ball bearings on the end of a shaft. I was able to figure out the likely size, and just order some modern ones on ebay.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

3/16 inches. Ace hardware has them.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi Pallophotophone ! Do you mean 3/16 mm ? Because 3/16 inches is too big a size for that tiny hole. Thanks

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

mrrgstuff wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:33 pm It's only a guess, but I think it's likely that this ball bearing is a standard off the shelf size. I had a similar issue with two Garrard motors which had both lost ball bearings on the end of a shaft. I was able to figure out the likely size, and just order some modern ones on ebay.
Thanks for your advice. If I correctly understand you, the tiny hole will just take a ball ( a bullet ) which fits well. Please clarify.

Regards
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

mrrgstuff wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:33 pm It's only a guess, but I think it's likely that this ball bearing is a standard off the shelf size. I had a similar issue with two Garrard motors which had both lost ball bearings on the end of a shaft. I was able to figure out the likely size, and just order some modern ones on ebay.
I have sent you a private message, please check. Thank you.
Regards
Sheraz

dale h
Victor O

Post by dale h »

I thought 3/16" sounded too large, too. So this morning I measured the spindle from a VV-IX (maybe a X, probably the same anyway} and it mic'ed out at .211". 3/16" is .1875", so it appears Pallophotophone is correct.

Dale H

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Sheraz,

The turntable thrust ball size varies according to the Victor model. The 3/16” ball is the most common although ⅛” is used on some of the smaller machines such as the VV-IV.

Please tell us the Victor model and serial number. I’ll check the parts listing for the correct size.

Steel balls are readily available in bicycle repair shops, ⅛” and 3/16” are common sizes.

Mark