Wooden horn repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Wooden horn repair

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Don Gfell gave so much to the hobby and his presence will be missed. He made a horn for me just months ago and it was a pleasure speaking with him about it as we both were excited to see it on the machine intended.
We spoke about my XXV horn that needed some repair and had plans to to get it to him and he would bring it to the Wayne show after completion.
Unfortunately, that has not happened and I will not be able to meet him in person as I wished.
This brings us to the dilemma of not having his expertise.
Aside from the Peruvian artist that is indeed making some amazing horns for the folks in our hobby, is there anyone else?
Does anyone know of experienced restoration craftsmen that could handle a wooden horn repair?
My horn has seam splits both inside and out that need attention.
No major damage but something that should be tended to before it gets worse.
If there is anyone that you know that you would trust sending your horn to, please let me know. I’ll take all the options and advice I can get.
Thank you all for any guidance and suggestions. Mike

chrisg
Victor III

Re: Wooden horn repair

Post by chrisg »

I too spoke to Don Gfell a couple of weeks before his passing about my VV-XXV Horn that needs repair. We also spoke about him making a horn for another victor.
I have a new horn from Peru coming I ordered 7 weeks ago. Last word was atleast two more weeks. I spoke to a gentleman that has a woodworker club. He said one guy they have may be able to do horns and or repairs.
I will follow up on him. Sure do miss Don Gfell

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

Contact Raphael he may have horns in stock that are in this country already. Steve

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Stephen_Madara wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:35 am Contact Raphael he may have horns in stock that are in this country already. Steve
For reference: https://forum.talkingmachine.info/view ... =9&t=55060

Raphael

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

If anyone has a reference for horn repair, please let me know. Thank you

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

chrisg wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:58 pm I too spoke to Don Gfell a couple of weeks before his passing about my VV-XXV Horn that needs repair. We also spoke about him making a horn for another victor.
I have a new horn from Peru coming I ordered 7 weeks ago. Last word was atleast two more weeks. I spoke to a gentleman that has a woodworker club. He said one guy they have may be able to do horns and or repairs.
I will follow up on him. Sure do miss Don Gfell
Any word about the woodworker club guy?

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

You might check with Don's widow. A few years ago Don told me he was teaching his son how to build horns. Perhaps his son has plans to continue that business?
Dave

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

Unfortunately no. I do not believe the services that Don gave will continue.
Attachments
C13691E3-39B9-4B5E-BAD1-7406CE73B023.png