Ikea Kallax shelves for 78's

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Ikea Kallax shelves for 78's

Post by Tampa Don »

I recently decided to finally move my 78 collection from file boxes stacked upon each other to a shelving unit for greater access of the records. I bought an Ikea Kallax 9 cubicle (3 cubicles over 3 cubicles) unit, but when I started to move the boxes of records I was reminded how heavy they are and am now doubting my decision to go with the Kallax. Has anyone had any experience with the Ikea Kalax shelving units for 78 storage? Are the sturdy enough to support the weight?

Hoodoo
Victor O

Re: Ikea Kallax shelves for 78's

Post by Hoodoo »

I have a 4x2 unit that I am using 4 wide 2 high, that seems to be holding up fine.
I also got eight of the metal boxes that fit into the Kalax. I forget what they are called, but they are robust and can be slid out so I can flip through the records and be able to see the labels.
The boxes, which were about $25 Canadian each, will fit 12 inch 78s too, but will not quite hold LPs as the jackets are just a smidge too big.
I did get worried about the weight of all my 78s, so doubled up two floor joists that run beneath my two main shelving units. Ah, the convenience of an unfinished basement.

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

I have two 4x2 units filled with LPs. A perfect fit and no bowing whatsoever (8 years on).
Very robust units.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I've been using IKEA expedit 5x5 cells since 15 years ago with no trouble. This was the antecessor of Kallax.
But prior to use it, I screwed the full back with 4mm pressed boards, attached to the borders and to some intermediate shelves, in both directions, because it has very small transversal stiffness, and there is the risk of lateral collapse of the entire shelf because of the weight of the contents.
Inigo

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

I also use Ikea units for 78’s.
I’m not sure which model this is, or if it’s still being made, as I got them at a thrift shop around the corner ten years ago for peanuts, but they have fixed shelves and the shelves are bolted in very well and are solid and thick. Never any worries about the weight. 48 x 14.

Steven
Attachments
BB8F040B-053A-44B6-9B68-9CE7CCD35196.jpeg

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Viva Voce, yours seems to be the Billy.
About the stiffening of the Kallax, the board at the back also serves as retention of the records, anti-dust, etc. But the stiffening function is the most important, for these shelves are very robust for vertical loads, but very weak against lateral loads.
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I have to believe that these units come with a rated weight capacity. Have you tried contacting Ikea to ask what the recommended maximum load is?

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

The instruction booklets of Ikea shelves usually give that info. Sure it is well below the load of the shelf full of 78s...!
The thing is that, because of their way of construction, these shelves can hold fairly more weight, taking some precautions like the lateral stiffening. These originally come with a set of four thick wire tensors to be installed in the four cells at the corners. These do a little stiffening, but completely inefficient of you're loading the shelves fully with records heavy books, and of course, 78s. The slightest pushing at the side of the shelf would make it collapse, because for lateral stiffness you only count with the small inserted wooden pins that hold the vertical dividers in place. If they break, the shelf will collapse like dominoes. That's where the utility of a good back boarding comes into play, secured to the horizontal shelves, the vertical dividers and the outer edges. The lateral forces would then transmit shear to the back board through the screws, and this is much more efficient. In the huge 5x5 Expedit, I used two 3 or 4mm boards, one for each half of the shelf, and I screwed it with two screws at each horizontal shelf and another two at each vertical divider, this in all of the 25 cells. The board is white on the side confronted to the cells, brown at the back. It is one of these pressed boards made for this purpose, with the back all goffre-textured (kind of 2x2mm square indentations). Here it's as common board product made for backing shelves.
I believe they now made these from what they call MDF.
Inigo

Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Post by Tampa Don »

Thanks for everyone who responded to my inquiry. I think installing the backboard should give me peace of mind.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Inigo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:05 pm Viva Voce, yours seems to be the Billy.
About the stiffening of the Kallax, the board at the back also serves as retention of the records, anti-dust, etc. But the stiffening function is the most important, for these shelves are very robust for vertical loads, but very weak against lateral loads.
Thanks inigo for the info. I’ve found these little units to be very satisfactory, and the stabilization is also reinforced by being snug up against the corner on one side and other matching ikea units on the other, clear to up against the other corner, so they all fit snugly along the entire wall, 5 feet wide. It’s a small 5x10 den but stores my books, music, and records perfectly and neatly, with room for a small couch on the opposite side for reading or tv watching and one wall is windows so it’s cozy but light and uncluttered.