Which Nipper is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gstone
Victor O
Personal Text: Redson68

Which Nipper is this?

Post by gstone »

Found some old pictures of my grandparent's radio/phonograph store, which was on Fairfax Blvd in Los Angeles. There is a Nipper in these two pictures, can anyone help me identify which type and size this is? I would love to acquire one for my collection. Thank you!
Attachments
Nipper.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Which Nipper is this?

Post by Jerry B. »

My best guess is a 36" paper mache' Nipper made in the 40's. One that size in not impossible to find but they are difficult to ship. I've owned several over the years. Questions?

Jerry B.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Cool pics! As a side note, I wonder what the biggest nipper ever made was? Let's all put our money together and get a giant roadside attraction nipper built :)

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

travisgreyfox wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:55 pm Cool pics! As a side note, I wonder what the biggest nipper ever made was?
That would probably be this one -- https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the ... s-new-york

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

I agree with Jerry that the one you seek is probably the 36" paper mache version RCA supplied to dealers in the 40s-50s.

John inquired about the largest. To my knowledge that would be the one top of a mfg. building in Albany, NY. However, RCA did have large 6' tall Nippers made in the mid 40s as well. The only one I have seen is here in Indianapolis at the Indiana State Museum for when RCA had a factory here for many years. The museums states this one was made in 1945. I do not know what he is made of.
state museum Nipper A.jpg
state museum Nipper A.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Here's a site that discusses big roadside Nippers--interesting, if you can get past its persistently calling Nipper's gramophone a "Victrola."

https://www.roadarch.com/critters/dogsnipper.html

AudioAntique
Victor II
Personal Text: "There is always a way to do it better....find it" Thomas Edison

Post by AudioAntique »

What a rare and wonderful photo of the store and Nipper. In 1947, after World War II, RCA commissioned the well-known sculptor Carl Hallsthammer "to carve an all-America model of the original Nipper". The Nipper in your photo is found on page 3-31 in our book on Nipper Collectibles Vol I. He is made of paper Mache by the Old King Cole Company in Canton Ohio and would have an original Old King Cole label on his foot or inside his body. Your Nipper would have greenish colored ears because he was placed in the sun outside the store. Nipper's brownish black ears turned a greenish olive color when Nipper sat in the sun. It is reported that 20,000 were made, so you should be able to find your Nipper.

Enjoy Nipper and all his collectibles.

Robin & Joan Rolfs
http://www.audioantique.com - Books featuring: Hearthstone Historic House Museum, Nipper Collectibles, Nipper items, Phonograph Dolls & Toys; Items for sale.

gstone
Victor O
Personal Text: Redson68

Post by gstone »

Robin and Joan, thanks so much for the info on this Nipper!! I will certainly be on the hunt to find one.

Gary