Pooley to Preserve or Part-out? ...with photos

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Pooley to Preserve or Part-out? ...with photos

Post by Dischoard »

Hey folks,

First things first; this is not a Victor machine with a Pooley case. I recently rescued a Pooley console phonograph from going to the dump, I'm wondering if there are any Pooley enthusiasts out there who would like a project machine that seems to need extensive case-work or if the general consensus is that these aren't all that special and I should get parts into the hands of folks who need them? It's got two things going against it, 1. it's not a Victor and 2. it's a console, not an upright.

Interested in thoughts and if you need any parts. Keep in mind I'm just about in Canada so the distance to most of you also plays a factor. This did actually come with the original manual. I'll get that scanned and put into .pdf form as well for anyone who would like a copy.

The tag under the turntable identifies this as a Model 220
IMG_8303.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Pooley to Preserve or Part-out? ...with photos

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My vote is usually "preserve if possible" and it looks like this one is going to be needing veneer.

It is likely not cost-effective to restore, but there are a few possible markets:
--young people in college in Burlington new to the hobby
--you're in Vermont so no shortage of off-grid homes
--very plain design probably would fit okay with modern decorating styles

Unfortunately I do not think it is going to be something that sells quickly because as you said, not a Vic and not a small machine.

Maybe pulling the metal parts would work but then again I don't know how much time you have or want to put into this, or what else you're restoring. Aren't you working on a rather nice circassian walnut Victrola as well?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Seems that when properly restored it could be a nice, sober machine. In these, the beauty of the wood shines by itself. And also seems it is capable of playing vertical records... That's a point.
my vote goes for restoring. Results can be wonderful! Just imagine it with a Tiffany lamp shining on the left dead surface... Mmmm...!
Inigo

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I would put my efforts into a less changing job. :coffee:

James.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

To part out or restore is a touchy subject. Bottom line... If we saved everything the actual restoration of anything would be at a standstill short of using reproduction parts. This is just not practical. A machine like this is a good parts donor and not worth the time and expense of a restoration.

Jerry B.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 am Unfortunately I do not think it is going to be something that sells quickly because as you said, not a Vic and not a small machine.

Maybe pulling the metal parts would work but then again I don't know how much time you have or want to put into this, or what else you're restoring. Aren't you working on a rather nice circassian walnut Victrola as well?
No, that's not me with the Circassian but I did comment on the post, I think, as I have the shell of an L-door with parts that might help.

Currently in my house I have three consoles; a Columbia 710, Victor VV-400 and an Edison W&M. I have a few Orthophonics; a Consolette, a 4-3, 4-7, VE 4-20X, and a VE 8-30X. I also have a VV-XI, an L-door VV-XVI, and just donated a VV-X to a local museum. I'm trying to move along an early Brunswick Ultona and I have the carcasses (carcassi? no, that's a guitarist) of an upright Edison and an L-door. With all that I definitely do not have the space for this little Pooley console. IF it turned out that it was something rare that someone was looking for (either for parts or to restore) I would just hand it over and wish them the best. But given the consensus here I think I will break it down to its manageable parts and see about finding folks who need a tone arm or motor. Perhaps I'll first list it for free in my area and see if there might be anyone looking for a project. The end game plan is to remove it from my porch!

Thanks all for the input!

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

For what it is worth, I'll chime in with some pricing input.... It seems like project machines like these will sit on the Marketplace or Craigslist forever in my area at $50 or more. However, I have noticed when the price drops down below $30 or so, the machine usually disappears [finds a new home....]. It is a lot of effort responding to emails and messages - I would throw $25 on it and see what happens on Facebook, at least you will get some lunch money out of the deal.....

And, it goes without saying, if a young/new collector shows up at the door, you would have the option to still exercise the "free" option if your heart desired....

Sorry, I guess I am opinionated this morning.... LOL. I don't want to come across as an "expert" but these are the "online" trends that I have noticed.

Take care! - Chris

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I have to agree with trying to put a small price on it. Advertising it for free often causes suspicion, while a small price suggests that there is value there. Kind of like the old joke that a washing machine with a "free" sign will sit on the curb forever, but once you put a $50 sign on it, it will get stolen ;)

Andreas

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I suppose you could part it out, gut the remaining cabinet, paint it and convert it into a bar or stereo cabinet, and sell it as such. Might head somebody off from giving that treatment to a good machine that does deserve preservation/restoration. ;)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Preserve it if you want to keep it and enjoy it or if you want to sell it and do the work essentially for free*.

*That's not a bad thing, if your ultimate goal is preservation over profit.