Pooley to Preserve or Part-out? ...with photos

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Pooley to Preserve or Part-out? ...with photos

Post by Zeppy »

My advice has always been use cheap less desirable machines to hone your skills. I've dumped a great deal of money and effort in restoring machines that I ended up selling at a loss or giving away to people looking for a functioning decorative piece that a collector would turn his nose up at. The things I learned on things I've learned on these pieces have taught me the skills I need to restore the pieces I now keep. Even though I'm now able to do a decent job (I've been happiest with an early Vic 6 I did a couple years ago, and a Oak VTLA that came out of a barn in Maine a decade ago that still occupies my dining room), if I have free time, and a cheap/free machine comes my way, I still grab it to tinker and hand over to someone down the line. Granted this attitude has resulted in my barn being packed with projects, but it's a hobby for me, not an investment.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Granby wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am For what it is worth, I'll chime in with some pricing input.... It seems like project machines like these will sit on the Marketplace or Craigslist forever in my area at $50 or more. However, I have noticed when the price drops down below $30 or so, the machine usually disappears [finds a new home....]. It is a lot of effort responding to emails and messages - I would throw $25 on it and see what happens on Facebook, at least you will get some lunch money out of the deal.....

And, it goes without saying, if a young/new collector shows up at the door, you would have the option to still exercise the "free" option if your heart desired....

Sorry, I guess I am opinionated this morning.... LOL. I don't want to come across as an "expert" but these are the "online" trends that I have noticed.

Take care! - Chris
I heartily agree, I may go this route. Perhaps this will get someone started down the path and be their "first". Worse comes to worse you can remove that door entirely and then just clean up the machine. The motor and turntable parts are all solid. A bit of GoJo and Howards on that cabinet and it would make a neat little machine for someone. I'll let you know how it turns out!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Is that bald door veneered on the back? If so, perhaps it could be flipped around to put the "good" side out and then the now-inner side painted, making the machine presentable. One point in its favor: the tonearm appears to be adjustable for vertical or lateral cut, assuming it isn't frozen up with pot metal issues. If it's still good, put a sapphire ball in it, and somebody could play Pathés.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Well I followed the advice, listed it for $35 as a project and had a taker within a day or two. Perhaps they'll find their way here and we'll have a new member to the forum. Time will tell and best of luck to he who now owns it!

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Awesome news!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

All well that ends well?
That saves you all the hassle of selling the pieces and breaking up the cabinet too. Great solution and another potential save.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Glad to hear it found a home.

I always save parting out to a last resort. If it's something like this that can be saved, but is a common or otherwise not very desirable piece, I'll usually try to find someone getting into the hobby to give it to in order for them to have something to "cut their teeth" on, so to speak. This would have been a good candidate because it is restorable and it will let someone get experience with both mechanical and cabinet restoration and they'll have a decent quality item when they're done. Even though these are "off-brand", most Pooleys used the same Saal motor found in a lot of Silvertones.