Victrola VV-X new home in Montgomery Historical Society

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Victrola VV-X new home in Montgomery Historical Society

Post by Dischoard »

Montgomery Vermont was home to the Atlas Plywood Company which the Victor Talking Machine Co. used to produce their shipping crates for Victrolas.
The Lodge.jpg
Main Street in Montgomery is lined with mill housing, each house looks the same just different color:
Mill house Ln.png
So the historical society found this crate a number of years ago on eBay, a woman in Ohio had it and after some trials and tribulations a member of the board actually drove it home as they were finishing up a cross country visit with their children. Another member donated to the museum what they thought was a Victrola but if you zoom in on the picture below you'll see that this was an error. And so the museum found my contact info and asked if I had anything that would fit the purpose. Given the dimensions of the crate they sent me it seemed the machine that would best fit was a VV-X which I had sitting in my classroom at school. The custodians have been less than kind to my first upright Victrola and so I thought the best and safest place for it to sit would be next to an actual Victor crate as part of their exhibit.
IMG_8302.JPG
Montgomery is a lovely little couple of villages to visit (the museum is in an old church in Montgomery and then only 4 miles up the road is Montgomery Center where the site of the plywood mill and mill housing are). Due to its proximity to Jay Peak it gets many visitors year round and is quite the artist/craftsperson community with cafes, bakeries, bike shops, hiking trails, covered bridges, and everything Vermont is known for. If you're looking for a way to spend some time this summer with your significant other, give Montgomery a shot. The drive alone is worth it! My wife and I travel here every Sunday to go winter hiking up the Long Trial on Jay Peak.

And now I have room for another project!

zipcord
Victor I

Re: Victrola VV-X new home in Montgomery Historical Society

Post by zipcord »

just curious - does anyone have pictures of a shipping crate with packing materials inside? I wonder what was used to prevent the crate from scratching the finish of a Victrola

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victrola VV-X new home in Montgomery Historical Society

Post by OrthoFan »

Dischoard: Very Interesting. Many thanks for posting.

OrthoFan
zipcord wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:55 pm just curious - does anyone have pictures of a shipping crate with packing materials inside? I wonder what was used to prevent the crate from scratching the finish of a Victrola
Victor used various supports and braces to fasten the Victrola immovably inside the cabinet. Here's just one example taken from an ebay ad I spotted -- Victrola Unpacking Instructions --
Capture.JPG
(Click to enlarge)
Jump to ad -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Victor ... 3213636709

If you look at the bottom of a cabinet style Victrola, you should see the holes where the mounting bolts were positioned.

HTH,
OrthoFan