New Aquisition - Oak Elite

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

New Aquisition - Oak Elite

Post by audiophile102 »

Presenting my new aquisition, a Sonora Elite serial number 1070472. Finding one of these this nice isn't easy and finding one with an oak cabinet even harder. I believe that this is an early version due to the details of the grill and the 1914 patent date. The condition of the cabinet is excellent with the usual marks here and there. No plant stain on the top! I spent several hours cleaning the cabinet. The turn table fabric appears to be original. The reproducer was in dire need of rebuilding. The gaskets were so hard and brittle they shattered into dust when removed. The sound made with the rebuilt reproducer is really quite nice. The Swiss made motor didn't require any service, but a few drops lubrication oil. The auto stop mechanism did require service as it clicked right along with the record, but refused to activate the stop lever.

In order to make room for the Sonora I sold my Victrola IX with the matching Pooley cabinet on Craigslist. It was a fine machine, but it doesn't come close to the beauty of the Elite. I misidentified it as a Baby Grand as depicted in the photo. :roll:

The Sonora was found at an estate sale in the Chicago suburbs last year by my good friend Roger Merenkov who generously gave it to me as a gift after I helped him move out of his shop. I will be making a video in the coming days and posting it on my You Tube page.
ContactSheet-001.jpg
ContactSheet-002.jpg
Motor.jpg
Last edited by audiophile102 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: New Aquisition - Oak Baby Grand

Post by Phono-Phan »

WOW!!! Very nice. Congrats.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Please see my PM John.

1923VictorFan
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm not better than you, I'm just different from you in ways that are better..

Post by 1923VictorFan »

Holy Cow! I have never seen such an amazing phonograph. Congrats!
It's not that I'm better than you. I'm just different from you in a way that's better. - Russel Brand

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: New Aquisition - Oak Elite

Post by Roaring20s »

That's how you do it, a nice upgrade from the VV-XI. :coffee:

James.