Horn Repair Advice.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
1923VictorFan
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm not better than you, I'm just different from you in ways that are better..

Horn Repair Advice.

Post by 1923VictorFan »

I apologize for all of my questions. Now I have a new delemna. Just received my "new" Edison 11 panel horn from FedEx. The small end took some kind of blow and is undamaged but no longer attached to the bell end. The seller is refunding part of my money but that doesn't fix the horn.
So I'm looking for suggestions. Soldering?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Attachments
20230325_125625.jpg
20230325_125617.jpg
It's not that I'm better than you. I'm just different from you in a way that's better. - Russel Brand

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Horn Repair Advice.

Post by JerryVan »

Yes, it could be soldered, but that will destroy the nice, original paint for an inch on either side of the seam. In addition to the paint damage, I've seen a lot really poor soldering jobs as well. In all fairness, it's not the easiest thing to solder. I would explore something like JB Weld to join it back together. Any of the JB that shows can be neatly touched up with a bit of black paint. Mind you, the JB Weld "fix" will not be as strong as solder, but it should be strong enough for what little stress is put on that joint.

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

You could try to find some very thin sheet metal and cut it to fit the inside where the two pieces will be joined. About half an inch to each piece. Epoxy on one piece first, put it together and let it completely dry. Take it apart and epoxy the other piece to the first one. Sand down any excess and touch up. I just fixed one like that and so far it has worked fine. Just my two cents.

1923VictorFan
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm not better than you, I'm just different from you in ways that are better..

Post by 1923VictorFan »

Thanks guys for the excellent ideas. I think I will first deal some more with the seller who shipped it very poorly packed. Who knows? Either way I'm pretty sure I will be left with this one to try your ideas on. Thanks again!
It's not that I'm better than you. I'm just different from you in a way that's better. - Russel Brand

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

Thanks guys for the excellent ideas. I think I will first deal some more with the seller who shipped it very poorly packed. Who knows? Either way I'm pretty sure I will be left with this one to try your ideas on. Thanks again!
[/quote]

I think the best option will be joining the two parts by placing a brass bush (bushing) inside the two rounded surfaces. Bushing is a fixed or removable cylindrical tube or sleeve that provides an interface between two parts. Any lathe shop can help you with the bush. Later, a brass or SS wrap around collar can hold the joint from the outside. The rims of the collar should have two holes where you insert small bolt and fasten with nuts. This method will not only strengthen the horn but also look neat.
Best

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

Return it to the seller and wait for one close to you. Not worth the effort for you to fix it

1923VictorFan
Victor II

Post by 1923VictorFan »

Hi Stephen, I did in fact return the broken horn for a full refund. With the refund I bought an enormous witches hat horn (43" long with a brass bell measuring 24" in diameter.) Of course I had to buy a floor stand too. The floor stand arrives today so once I get everything set p I'll attach a photo.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

In the long run, returning it was the best choice I believe. Happy that you got something else that seems like it's going to be even better!

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

That was a good idea. Usually these large horns are not worth shipping due to the size . Steve

1923VictorFan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 am Hi Stephen, I did in fact return the broken horn for a full refund. With the refund I bought an enormous witches hat horn (43" long with a brass bell measuring 24" in diameter.) Of course I had to buy a floor stand too. The floor stand arrives today so once I get everything set p I'll attach a photo.