New Acquisition: Columbia BY

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: New Acquisition: Columbia BY

Post by dzavracky »

Well instead of going to bed I decided to take apart the BY. My bathtub is absolutely filthy… which will be a problem to face in the morning. But I am stuck on the last bit of the motor.

I don’t get why the adjustable bearing for the govenor has this “hook” on the end of it. Whether it’s in the orientation shown or upside down… it just pushes on the gear. If I try to set the teeth to mesh right, it binds down. And then when it’s adjusted so it doesn’t touch, the gears don’t mesh.

This was the problem with motor and why it wouldn’t play a full record without slowing down. The springs definitely have enough power for at least 3 records… but it simply won’t because hook thing is just binding on the gear.

Since the thought “just cut the damn thing off” came to mind I’m deciding to go to bed and try again later tomorrow. Hopefully you guys can give some suggestions!

Any thoughts???

David
Attachments
1C42B4B9-125B-4019-82F2-5F691101AC1C.png
B71D6D9B-21F9-4200-9D4E-414647AF7878.png

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Just file enough of it away to allow clearance. Don't remove it! It's aparently there to prevent the spindle shaft from lifting when you remove the turntable, which would allow the bevel gears to un-mesh and cause a disaster.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Ok. Thanks Jerry ;) !

Will post an update later

David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Zooming in on your first photo, the governor springs look way too heavy. Maybe just the angle of the photo?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

David,

Try possibly swinging the end bracket, as shown below, in order to get more clearance between it and the gear. The dot I placed between the 2 screws would be the pivot point. If need be, you could even elongate the holes in the motor frame slightly with a rat tail file.
gears.3.png
gears.3.png (276.43 KiB) Viewed 253 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's pretty cool.

There's always a chance, with machines that are nice but not expertly restored, that there's a non-original part in there. Bevel gears do wear and I wonder if it was replaced by someone around the time that the cabinet was stripped.

Definitely don't file off part of the hook until you exhausted every possible look at what's up with that gear.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Also was able to purchase one last week. Spectacularly well engineered machine.