New Acquisition: Columbia BY

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

New Acquisition: Columbia BY

Post by dzavracky »

I had the chance to acquire this machine yesterday (huge thank you to Phonofluff for all your help). I am super excited to own my first phonograph with a wooden horn!

Now a few questions:

To my eyes it appears to have been stripped and refinished. Whoever did it didn’t stain the cabinet (seems too light to me?) but otherwise did an excellent job. The horn doesn’t match the color of the cabinet either. Since there are no decals on the cabinet… do I leave it as it? Put new decals over existing finish with a coat or two of finish? Or fully refinish it?

How does the volume control work? Is there supposed to be a piece of leather on the screw?

I do find it a little strange that the govenor is only two springs… but it does run really quietly. The motor barely makes it through one record.. so it definitely need to be taken apart. It might just be a dirty motor.. but thoughts on installing 4 new springs? It almost seems like a machine this nice deserves new springs.

The horn also seems to have had some work done on it. But I don’t see any reason to mess with it.

Any other thoughts would be great!

Cheers

David
Attachments
3B425AD7-55CB-4017-953D-DEC52E9E309D.png
232D4BAC-0D8A-4490-9170-5D04E384283B.png
2DAAF5A6-1939-4921-A7D7-AC370C1EB56B.png
C8101DE2-7C0E-4587-9DEA-9F9A23951330.png
DA04151E-72BF-4F69-972E-B87D6DE3FE29.png
DC780E6B-CFA7-4CCA-B40B-95B6E2BA02BC.png

Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Re: New Acquisition: Columbia BY

Post by Flying Dutchman »

That is certainly a beautiful machine.

Congratulations!

So it’s double barrel 4 spring motor..?
I’m not familiar with that brand or motor but maybe some springs are disengaged…?
I restored a VV-IX once and the same happened, it would barely play through a record. Come to find out one of the springs had disengaged or was installed incorrectly and was only running on one.
Once cleaned and installed properly, it ran like a charm.
Maybe start with that…a dissemble and cleaning,see what’s happening mechanically.
Then the cosmetic stuff can happen later..?

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Flying Dutchman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:53 pm That is certainly a beautiful machine.

Congratulations!

I’m not familiar with that brand or motor but maybe some springs are disengaged…?
I restored a VV-IX once and the same happened, it would barely play through a record. Come to find out one of the springs had disengaged or was installed incorrectly and was only running on one.
Maybe start with that…a dissemble and cleaning,see what’s happening mechanically.
It has a 4 spring motor. I am going to disassemble the motor as soon as I can find a proper place to do it. I am not too keen on the idea of trying to take it apart in my bathroom :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

David

Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Post by Flying Dutchman »

dzavracky wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:30 pm
Flying Dutchman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:53 pm That is certainly a beautiful machine.

Congratulations!

It has a 4 spring motor. I am going to disassemble the motor as soon as I can find a proper place to do it. I am not too keen on the idea of trying to take it apart in my bathroom :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

David

Quite the messy experience it is. You may want to stay close to the bath… 😂

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Personally I wouldn't be happy until it had a rich red mahogany finish like an original. The elegant curved cabinet would be easy to refinish. The horn would be more work but well worth it. It would be spectacular if both pieces matched. I don't think you'd ever regret the effort. That's my two bits worth! :)

Jerry B.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Jerry's right. The BY is one of the most beautiful phonographs ever made. Here's one that I got from Jerry and mated with a mahogany horn.

Raphael
02-IMG-7906.jpg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

dzavracky wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:30 pm It has a 4 spring motor. I am going to disassemble the motor as soon as I can find a proper place to do it. I am not too keen on the idea of trying to take it apart in my bathroom :lol: :lol:
Well, if you fill the bathtub, you could disassemble the motor under the surface, remove it, and then sell the residual liquid as spring water.

Er, no. :oops:

Kidding aside, congrats--that's a nice machine, and by the time you're done with it I'm sure it will be a stunner!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

drh wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:46 pm
dzavracky wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:30 pm It has a 4 spring motor. I am going to disassemble the motor as soon as I can find a proper place to do it. I am not too keen on the idea of trying to take it apart in my bathroom :lol: :lol:
Well, if you fill the bathtub, you could disassemble the motor under the surface, remove it, and then sell the residual liquid as spring water.

Er, no. :oops:

Kidding aside, congrats--that's a nice machine, and by the time you're done with it I'm sure it will be a stunner!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very punny!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

OH man that BY is gorgeous Raphael. Once I find a proper place to work, I will re-finish both the horn and the machine.

Is an aniline dye the best way to go? I have only done one mahogany refinish before and I can't remember what I used. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

dzavracky wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:13 pm OH man that BY is gorgeous Raphael. Once I find a proper place to work, I will re-finish both the horn and the machine.

Is an aniline dye the best way to go? I have only done one mahogany refinish before and I can't remember what I used. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

David
I have found that aniline dye gives the best results for a bold color change. Nice machine David!