Thoughts on UV light film for windows

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Thoughts on UV light film for windows

Post by chunnybh »

Unfortunately there is no real lasting solution to having antiques subjected to sunlight without damaging them. It's not just the UV that will do the damage, it is also other visible light rays and also the heat from these rays. Good UV filters do work but still allow other damaging visible light through.
The effects of light are cumulative, so that 1,000 lux for one hour causes the same level of damage as 100 lux for 10 hours, so perhaps try and place your phonograph so it only gets a short blast of sun and at the time when you most look at it. Outside shutters are great for this as you can narrow the beam of light coming through the window.

We also have to remember that most light sources are also damaging. The good old incandescent bulb is probably the least damaging as it does not produce much UV, that is of course if you can find them anymore. LED's are a good alternative. although all fluorescent lights produce quit a bit of UV. Most museums will have filters on these lights. So it is quite important to know exactly what kind of artificial light your antiques are under.

The only real solution is to sit in the dark with your antiques or at least keep them in the dark when not being viewed or used.