Thoughts on UV light film for windows

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Thoughts on UV light film for windows

Post by dzavracky »

I have my green oak Edison Home near the window in my apartment, and the setting sun shines directly on it for a little over an hour each day. And my friend who lives below me his my BI displayed on the table next to the window. I am worried about the color fading both on both phonographs.

Has anyone used (or is using) a UV protection film? Any recommendations? How well do they work?

David

Edit: here’s the sun setting on the edison home .
Attachments
4D8EFDB8-3030-495F-B309-B16FA48AF2FF.png
49ABC76A-62A0-4F9A-8C10-A24B2EC8F72C.png

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Thoughts on UV light film for windows

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

dzavracky wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:20 pm I have my green oak Edison Home near the window in my apartment, and the setting sun shines directly on it for a little over an hour each day. And my friend who lives below me his my BI displayed on the table next to the window. I am worried about the color fading both on both phonographs.

Has anyone used (or is using) a UV protection film? Any recommendations? How well do they work?

David

I would try installing blinds!

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:35 am
dzavracky wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:20 pm I have my green oak Edison Home near the window in my apartment, and the setting sun shines directly on it for a little over an hour each day. And my friend who lives below me his my BI displayed on the table next to the window. I am worried about the color fading both on both phonographs.

David

I would try installing blinds!
I have blinds on the windows. But I like watching the sunset from my apartment..... I don't want to close the windows every night

David

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I have a large Reginaphone near a sliding glass door that has protective solar film installed. Even so, the side facing the sun can actually get quite warm. So, every morning I lower the attached shade all the way to the floor until the sun works its way around the house.
For you, a simpler solution is to place a bath towel over it during times of peak sun intrusion.

Raphael
IMG_0197.jpeg

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Raphael wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:20 am I have a large Reginaphone near a sliding glass door that has protective solar film installed. Even so, the side facing the sun can actually get quite warm. So, every morning I lower the attached shade all the way to the floor until the sun works its way around the house.
For you, a simpler solution is to place a bath towel over it during times of peak sun intrusion.

Raphael

IMG_0197.jpeg
I have been putting a vinyl in front of the phonograph when the sun sets. I don't really want to though.. cause I love the way the green oak shines when the sun hits it. I need to go check on that blue horn downstairs... I am worried the color is going to be gone on the whole left side :?

So even with the UV film you still don't want the sun hitting the phonographs?

David

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

I walked through a historic home/museum this past Saturday and I noticed they had a "pull down" shade of some type on the inside of the windows that was tinted and you could see through it. I thought this was pretty neat! In this scenario, you don't have to "install" the window tint and attach it to the glass, you can still see out, but the antiques [phonographs] and artword are protected. I will see if I can locate a photo.... Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures. You may want to google it!

Another Option....

Maybe you can find a Big Lots or Discount Retailer in your area that carries "sheer" or "room darkening" drapes/curtains. Install a rod above the window and get creative. I have done this in the past, it might give the room and "elegant" flair, too.
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I will continue to look into this. I started this thread to ask if there was an effective way to protect the phonographs while still allowing the sunlight to pass through the window. I have blinds I could pull down, and I have things I can put in front of the cabinets during the hour when the sun sets. But I would really prefer not to do this every night... and I enjoy the way the sunlight lights up the room and the phonographs.

Cheers,

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I've said it before about the UV light thing--You can have antiques, or you can have a sunset, but you really can't have both without the aid of science.
'
Now what would be interesting is a little test for this--Get some UV-light test cards from Amazon or other retailers, and do one as a control, one shaded by UV film. Then you will know about how effective different solutions are. And as far as the machines themselves, green oak is pretty delicate in sunlight and frequently fades to muddy brown, and blue pigments in horns are pretty unstable so if you're going to display a colorful collection (as normal) you'll probably like the UV film anyway.

It will also help save the sheet-music, Vogue picture discs on the walls, any furniture fabrics and finishes, books and LP's (I refuse to call records, vinyls) on the shelf, and that sort of thing. Bet it will work!

Charles F.

Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Something like this…? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reviews state blocks 68-98% of UV light..maybe two layers…?
Attachments
IMG_6179.png