Pedestal advice for Victor II

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Flying Dutchman
Victor I
Personal Text: Moby says hello…

Re: Pedestal advice for Victor II

Post by Flying Dutchman »

I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the recessed rubber feet route and keep the case triangles exposed.
This will leave a ½” or so daylight gap between the case and pedestal top but I like the look of seeing the two separate pieces.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Here's an alternate idea ...
Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 5.23.01 PM.png
Making the panel small will help to hide it and reduce any color matching.

James.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Roaring20s wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:25 pm Here's an alternate idea ...

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 5.23.01 PM.png

Making the panel small will help to hide it and reduce any color matching.

James.

Excellent. It doesn't even have to be a square board. Basically an "X" shape would better hide the insert from being visible near the edges of the phonograph's base.

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

I like that idea very much…but…the tolerance or fit would have to be so tight and precise or else the phonograph would move forward and back a bit when I attempt to wind it. I’m not sure if I have that skill or not to pull that off. I guess I could remove the motor board and flip the case upside down and work on a perfect fit..
This reminds me of the locking in idea of the small strips of wood tucked and tacked behind the triangle bases. Similar strategies I guess…
It’s getting close….I CAN FEEL IT!!! 😂

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

This idea is base on not driving screws into the top of the pedestal.

You could glue and screw two blocks into the hole and screw the new top to those blocks.

As far as making the top fit well, place the phonograph in position and use masking tape to accurately mark the feet on the pedestal. Then make a template to the shape you want.

There will always be some movement, but it won't slide off the pedestal.

James.

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

Excellent point James.

This will be the method…final. I appreciate the members coming together with ideas. I know I went to the right place. Thank you all.

Now to find the time…

I’ll post a photo when complete!

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

I agree about removing the feet. They don't belong there.

You might consider adding a raised moulding strip around the edge of the top board. There were cabinets that fit particular models of tabletop Victrolas that had a raised moulding to keep them from sliding off. Here is a picture of one:

https://www.harpgallery.com/shop/item41 ... id=1&pid=2

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

hbick2 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm I agree about removing the feet. They don't belong there.

What feet are you referring to? The rubber ones, or the wood triangular pieces at each corner. If it's the latter, they 100% belong there and are original to the machine.

Flying Dutchman
Victor I

hbick2 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm I agree about removing the feet. They don't belong there.

You might consider adding a raised moulding strip around the edge of the top board. There were cabinets that fit particular models of tabletop Victrolas that had a raised moulding to keep them from sliding off. Here is a picture of one:

https://www.harpgallery.com/shop/item41 ... id=1&pid=2

hbick2,
Yes that is a great idea but probably more for larger phonographs like you pictured. Probably an VIII or IX there in the photo. I have always liked those cabinets with the molding secure method. They also possibly had the recessed cups for any rubber or rounded skid feet placed.
The issue with that also is matching the ornate patterns already on the pedestal.