Show us your reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Show us your reproducer

Post by JerryVan »

1913Concert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:20 am Here is a reproducer I have had for over 50 years. I’ve never encountered another quite like it. It’s to my eye somewhere between an Exhibition and a Victrola No2 and while similar in ways to the Improved Concert different from that too. Last patent is 1913. Anyone else have one or have information about it I would really appreciate hearing!
Just when you think you've seen it all! How odd. Can't wait to see more feedback on that one!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I have never seen a Victrola Special reproducer. Very Cool!!!!!!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

1913Concert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:20 am Here is a reproducer I have had for over 50 years. I’ve never encountered another quite like it. It’s to my eye somewhere between an Exhibition and a Victrola No2 and while similar in ways to the Improved Concert different from that too. Last patent is 1913. Anyone else have one or have information about it I would really appreciate hearing!
Isn't that interesting! Harry Sooy has mentioned a "new sound box" in his diaries, I think about the year 1914, in connection with some industrial research which later led to the invention of the No. 4 soundbox. I wonder if this is in any way connected with. The Johnson Victrola Museum in Dover, Delaware, might actually have information on it as I saw a massive quantity of archival material there.

Charles

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:52 am
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:30 am
epigramophone wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:32 am The Automatic Soundbox is a good example of a device which did what few people wanted done.
It's unwise use of pot metal for the plunger has ensured that few survive in working order.
Can the magazines be refilled?
Standard steel needles are too long to fit into the magazine. I suspect that the manufacturers realised that owners might try to save money by refilling the magazines themselves, and made it impossible for them to do so.
That sucks.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Here are a couple from my collection.

The one with the black diaphragm is a Tonofox with lever volume control. It should have a mica diaphragm but currently sports a less than ideal 3D printed one. I brought this one back from a wreck, video below if anyone is interested:
https://youtu.be/BnADFcWrij8

The other one I know nothing about. Seems to be different for the sake of it. Maybe to avoid patent issues or provide unique selling point. Needs work so not tried it yet.
Attachments
20230602_203949~2.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

This is very interesting and entertaining!
Inigo

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Here's the only similar type found in my search. It too has the latest 1913 date, see last image. Sure has the look of a No2 reproducer and those have 1921 as the last date. It sold at Donley's for $180 in 2016.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1821191322

James.

PS: I wonder if its development was interrupted by WWI. :|

1913Concert
Victor Jr

Post by 1913Concert »

That’s really interesting James! This one is a bit more like a Victrola number 2 but still has the rubber connector like an exhibition. The arrangement securing the needle holder looks just like mine. Thanks for finding and posting this.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Enclosed is a couple pictures of a reproducer that came on a early Zonophone Model "A" which also had it's original leather elbow. This reproducer "Standard Sound Box" was discussed in a thread a few years back. A special bonus was the reproducer came with it's original wood box along with the Philadelphia dealers label attached.. The reproducer looks very similar to the Gibson "New Centry" upgrade which was invented by Robert Gibson to improve the inferior sound of the Closed Faced soundbox normally supplied with these early Zonophone machines. As I understand it, Gibson then sold the rights to the reproducer to Johnson which then ultimately became the Exhibition reproducer after a little more tweeking.

Please if anyone has further information or corrections on my description please do not hesitate to jump in and reply to this post.

blizz
Attachments
standard2.jpg
standard1.jpg

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

So many things to learn, I never expected to see so many incredible examples of reproducers. It's truly amazing how much effort was placed into improving the sound quality. Keep the pictures coming please this is great.