New 2 4 minute Edison parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: New 2 4 minute Edison parts

Post by FellowCollector »

To add a little to Jerry's helpful comments and pictures, I'm sure that you realize that your model D repeater is comprised of quite a few more parts than are shown in the picture. Drilling and tapping the two holes in the top casting MUST be pretty precise to position the worm gear carriage lift/return assembly correctly (not shown in the picture).

Your 2/4 minute clutch assembly is the earlier style without the clutch shoulder to permit movement of the clutch. So, as Jerry also alluded to, the 2/4 minute switch that attaches to the carriage end boss and the feed screw should be present to enable moving the clutch. The planetary gear inside the pulley has to rotate easily in order for the 4 minute setting to operate correctly. Sometimes the gear is gummed up and sticky which leads to a halt when in 4 minute mode. Can you create and post a quick video of what's happening? It may be helpful to us to help you a little better. :)

Doug

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Thank you both for writing. I really appreciate your time and thoughts. I’m not sure what that little bump is in the plate. There is no paint over it. Was something cut when it was changed from two to a combination gearing? I thought maybe it was supporting the lead screw. Should I dremel it off? More pictures to come.
Attachments
IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5223.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg
IMG_5225.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

There’s a Triumph bed plate on ebay. I was looking around at other machines. This one has a similar protrusion if you look closely, but it appears that it’s been completely filed off.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Here’s the photo of the eBay listing.
Attachments
IMG_5245.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

The other thing I forgot to add: I have a model D repeater for my Home. I haven’t drilled or tapped the plate yet for the Triumph. I didn’t want to attempt that until I was sure that I could get the 2 and 4 minute gearing totally functional. I didn’t know it was going to be this tough. All advice most sincerely appreciated!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Okay. Your additional pictures make it more clear. The lug looked odd due to the shadow of the 2/4 minute gear change hub.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Will a Home Mandrel and 2/4 gearing work in a Triumph?

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

KCW wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:46 pm Will a Home Mandrel and 2/4 gearing work in a Triumph?
The short answer would be no. You may be able to rework a Home part and make it work if you want to experiment.
These combination kit parts are marked for what machine they go on.
The Triumph A needs a Triumph A combination kit to work. A kit from a Triumph B or C will not work on a Triumph A. Triumph B or C will not work on each other.
The difference in these kits are the feed screw length and the mandrel shaft length. There are several length depending on your machine and model. I think a few of the clutch assembles are interchangeable if I remember correctly.
Years ago there was a copy of a letter to the Edison dealers explaining these differences either online or maybe in M.A.P.S.
From your pictures it looks like you have a Triumph model A. I would check your parts to be sure they're marked for a Triumph model A.
If they are then you can proceed with the good advice mentioned earlier. If they are not, a search for the correct parts might be best.
Larry

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Thank you for the advice. One of the issues I think is contributing to the problem is till this protrusion from the bed plate. See the attached picture. It does get in the way of the clutch adjustments. My guess is that this piece was cut from the original bed plate and this is what is left. Am I ok to file this down flat? From the above eBay listing it looks like that’s what someone did long ago. I just don’t want to do something harmful ti the bed plate. Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_5358.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

KCW wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:40 am Am I ok to file this down flat? From the above eBay listing it looks like that’s what someone did long ago. I just don’t want to do something harmful to the bed plate. Any thoughts?
I would really encourage you to NOT alter it. It serves a purpose* when the Triumph Model A is used in its original form. Later examples may appear to have it "removed", but I'm certain it was at the factory and was done because it was no longer needed in later models. The photo you posted, showing a much shorter lug, is in fact a much later model than your "A", (a Model E, apparently). To remove or alter yours would do harm to it and to its value.

*It is intended to limit the sideways movement of the mandrel when you open the end gate. When the end gate is opened, it butts against the mandrel pulley and keeps the mandrel from drifting too far to the right. Without it, the mandrel shaft will fall off of the left end mandrel bearing. Again, this is the case when set up as a "factory" 2 minute Triumph "A". If it interferes with the function of your 2/4 minute set-up, it only proves Larry's point above, that a Triumph "A" needs a Triumph "A" conversion and yours is not likely a Model "A" conversion.