New 2 4 minute Edison parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

New 2 4 minute Edison parts

Post by KCW »

Can anyone recommend where I can find 2 4 minute replacement parts? I bought a repeater for my Triumph that has 2 4 minute gearing. Assembly is rough going and nothing seems to work. I’m wondering if I need to replacement the little nipple and spring piece that keeps the clutch in either the 2 or 4 minute groove. These are teeny little parts. Are there any places where I can get such things? Thank you so much for reading!

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: New 2 4 minute Edison parts

Post by PeterF »

Brian has the parts you need:

http://www.thephonographshop.com/

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

KCW wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:34 pm I’m wondering if I need to replacement the little nipple and spring piece that keeps the clutch in either the 2 or 4 minute groove.
Are these actually missing? I would think that they would seldom go "bad". What exactly is the problem you're having?

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I’m having a hell of a time installing my 2-4 minute gearing. I just can’t get the parts to go together. When I finally do the machine won’t run (it ran fine before I started messing with the mandrel). I figured if I replaced some of those tiny parts it could possibly help. There are some good videos online on how to installing these gearings but I’m not having any luck. Pretty frustrating! This is four a repeater in installing on my Triumph.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm also a little confused. The parts for a combination 2&4 mechanism are different than parts for a repeater. Some photos would really help.

Thanks, Jerry B.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Sorry to be vague. It’s a model D repeater but it is also for 2 and 4 minutes.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:14 am I'm also a little confused. The parts for a combination 2&4 mechanism are different than parts for a repeater. Some photos would really help.

Thanks, Jerry B.
Jerry,

He bought the repeater which also included a whole mandrel assembly with a 2/4 minute gear change. So, he's not only adding the repeater, he's also converting to 2/4 at the same time.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

KCW wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 am I’m having a hell of a time installing my 2-4 minute gearing. I just can’t get the parts to go together. When I finally do the machine won’t run (it ran fine before I started messing with the mandrel). I figured if I replaced some of those tiny parts it could possibly help. There are some good videos online on how to installing these gearings but I’m not having any luck. Pretty frustrating! This is four a repeater in installing on my Triumph.
Post some pictures of what you've got. Include both the old mandrel and the new one you're trying to install. Try to explain exactly what parts are not going together.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Here’s what I’ve got: I installed the 2-4 minute gearing . It’s got the repeater gear in the far left. I think everything is installed correctly. When I rotate the mandrel (by hand) in 2 everything rotated together. When I switch to four and rotate (by hand) it appears that the mandrel rotates correctly in 4 minute mode. The big problem now is that when I have it in two minute mode and spinning but not playing a cylinder it rotates fine. When I lower the carriage down the cylinder won’t play and everything stops. Furthermore, in four minute mode the mandrel won’t spin at all. I’ve taken it apart and our back together a dozen times with no luck. Everything is oiled too. Picture attached - this is tougher than I had expected!
Attachments
IMG_5127.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Not sure where to begin here. Do you have the 2/4 minute shift lever that goes here...
Triumph shifter.PNG
Triumph shifter.PNG (425.02 KiB) Viewed 366 times
I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. What is this lug(?) about? I looked at both of my Triumphs and neither one have anything like this. Is any of the leadscrew assembly hitting this?
Triumph lug.PNG
Your leadscrew appears to be very dented or pitted. I'm wondering if your ½ nut is able to ride on it without dragging down or skipping. How much pressure does your ½ nut have against the leadscrew? Is it pushing so hard that it drags the mandrel down?
Triumph leadscrew.PNG
Once you get this phase of your project adjusted and working, are you going to be able to drill & tap the 2 holes needed to mount the repeater leadscrew?