VV-VI- series F motor help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

VV-VI. 06.JPG
This motor was worked on by a past owner. When I got it the governor was missing one spring and the other springs had different weights on them.

Before getting started with the teardown, I pulled governor “F” from a similar Victor parts motor. These weights are not the same shape ball that would have originally been on this motor. I tested it and it ran steady at 78 rpm without issue. Satisfied with that, I proceeded with the teardown.

Spring “C” had a new pear hole attaching it to the barrel, the old hole was just past it.

Both springs "C" & "D" are hooked to the barrel in the same counter clockwise direction.

Both springs seemed shorter than I would’ve expected. Then I read on the forum, that the F series used shorter springs. I can’t find that page now.

"A" is the winding gear that rotates with the crank in a clockwise direction. It turns the arbor gear "B" in a counter clockwise direction to tighten the springs.

The springs are lubed with vaseline and graphite.

Issue #1
It is not easily wound and the winding stops at 10 to 12 full revolutions.
This barely completes a 12” record.
The speed is perfect. Motor is quiet. No strange noises.
Maybe I added a bit more lube than I should have?
Could that be why the winding is harder?

Issue #2
The arbor and spring barrels have 1/16” left to right play “E”.
Is there a spacer/washer missing on the arbor?
Is this play the source of power loss?

Thanks,
James

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: VV-VI- series F motor help

Post by CDBPDX »

According to the Victor Data Book, the VV VI-F came with 2-1"x 9' springs, the smallest springs Victor made, I think. The spring barrels will easily accommodate longer length springs, up to 15' in length, if you should want to improve performance (play time). The gearing for winding is pretty much a 1 to 1 ratio of 1 crank rotation for 1 arbor rotation and requires significant effort to wind. Later machines used gearing that required less effort to wind, but needed more crank turns for the same amount of winding. This machine uses a winding gear and arbor gear of the same size, later ones had arbor gears that were larger than the winding gear. It was changed because folks thought it was too hard to wind up.
The weights on the governor shown are later than the weights that orignally came with this machine, but they should work without issue.
The gear that drives the spindle should be aligned to engage at the middle of the spindle. If it is more to one side or the other, you can insert a washer/shim on the spering barrel shaft where needed.
Motor looks good!

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: VV-VI- series F motor help

Post by Roaring20s »

That's good news and now I understand that these issues originate from manufacturing and not something the previous tinkerer or I did! :D

I appreciate your input! :ugeek:

Thanks,
James.