NEEDLE TINS

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

NEEDLE TINS

Post by gramophone78 »

I don't think we have ever had a thread on "needle tins". A small yet all important part of our hobby. If anyone has a nice tin or two they would like to show......let's see them. I will start with three that took me many years to find. These three are 1000 tins. I find the black & gold ones interesting showing one Canadian and the other American.
Early Canadian 1000 Needle Tin.JPG
Attachments
American & Canadian Black & Gold 1000 needle Tins (2).JPG

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: NEEDLE TINS

Post by Zeppy »

gee...how does one follow those two tins? I'd be embarrassed to post any of my tins after those two ;)

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

There are many dedicated collectors of needle tins. Being so small, they are easy to store or display. They too represent the history of our hobby. In may heydays I had around 30, including HMV tins that still had their original paper seals, so hadn't been opened for nigh on 70 years. I even had 2 original display stands for Marschall, one of the leading German brands, who made some of the best needles I've ever had. They were slightly longer than the normal medium tone needles, were kind to the record, had less surface noise and still reproduced the higher notes perfectly. I was able to buy 5 sealed tins of these, kept one in its original condition and used the rest to play records with. At 5 guilders apiece (2,40 euro in today's money) they sure were a good investment.
For some reason many South African needles are quite good too. The tins are nicely designed as well.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Zeppy,Although I appreciate your kind words toward my tins. There are so many other tins out there at are better in so may ways. For example, my interest is mainly Canadian & US HMV related. A good friend of mine showed me a German or Swiis tin that is outstanding compared to what I posted. I was hoping in starting this thread that members would show some of the more uncommon tins that they may have. I myself would love to see some of the Zeppelin tins that were made......very cool.. :D.
Attachments
Swiss Needle Tin.jpg
Swiss Needle Tin.jpg (38.89 KiB) Viewed 1862 times

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

Don't be too shy about the three tins you showed us. I know people here in Europe who would pay a tight sum for them. I've once seen one of the newer ones, but the Canadian one is definitely an enormous rarity over here. They're in fine condition for their age.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Thanks Peter. Maybe you can show us some cool European tins??. Do you have a Zeppelin tin???.There is another very cool tin by colibri also. Sure, the HMV is nice but, it is still just the HMV.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

gramophone78 wrote:Zeppy,Although I appreciate your kind words toward my tins. There are so many other tins out there at are better in so may ways. For example, my interest is mainly Canadian & US HMV related. A good friend of mine showed me a German or Swiis tin that is outstanding compared to what I posted. I was hoping in starting this thread that members would show some of the more uncommon tins that they may have. I myself would love to see some of the Zeppelin tins that were made......very cool.. :D.
I also limit myself to the HMV/Victor/Berliner lines, so particularly the canadain tin you posted tickled my fancy. Most of my tins are the rather common HMV variety, except with the variations being langauge. I think I've covered French, Spanish and Italian, and the odd German "condor" needle tin (no one has yet explained to me what those were supposed to do). The most unusual one I have is one that has different needle typoes in one long tin, with different compartments, and the lid with the images of all the tin lids...

Anyway, sticking to the Victor/HMV brands for everything is probably one of the few things that keeps me from appearingon the show Hoarders (well that and my wife).

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

This is a fun topic. My wife has collected needle tins since 1995. About 10 years ago she bought a collection from another collector without telling me first. She immediately doubled her collection to about 900 tins and about 400 paper needle packets. What amazed her as she sorted through them was that there were only about 10 duplicates from the ones she already had. I snapped this photo as she was starting to go through her purchase.

here is a photo of a full case set as sent to the dealer. It contains 5000 needles in five different tones. This was from "TrueTone" needles.

Her favorites are still the HMV larger sizes and multiple compartment tins as well as the Japanese Victor tins which many times were painted and also embossed. It's been a fun sideline hobby to the machine collection.

ColoradoPhonograf

PatrickMeyhoff
Victor Jr

Post by PatrickMeyhoff »

Does anybody know what exactly the master's voice Condor needles is
I am wondering and I would like to learn more
496085428_eda95768-6cdc-4973-8a0a-ec7e0facf9d0.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20240305_184340.jpg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »