Found in the Wild, Original Family, Great Bonus

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Found in the Wild, Original Family, Great Bonus

Post by Django »

Sometimes it’s nice to be attracted to the girl that is not the Prom Queen. In this case, it’s a lowly VV-XIV-D in some form of Fumed Oak, (second style). For some reason, I have always liked that model and finding a nice one within a few hours drive and in a Fumed Oak was too tempting for me, so I told them that I wanted it and would pay their asking price. My wife thought that it was an odd choice, but she was supportive anyway.

As is often the case, it came with a few boxes of records. I figured that there may be a few in there that I would like, so I brought them home. There were some records that appealed to me but the real find was an early G & T Victor 10” with the embossed angel on the reverse side, (1905), a 1902 “first Dog” 10” and ten, 10” pre dog Victor records, (three of them being the earliest “VICTOR TEN INCH” variant from 1901. Please don’t ask, they are already spoken for).

I was surprised to find a family piece from 1913 with records from 1901. I suppose that it’s possible that this was the family’s second phonograph or that someone passed some old records on to them. Whatever the case, I was surprised and happy to find them. Sometimes the extras are much more valuable than the item that you sought.

Just a reminder that there are still treasures to be found, (although this is probably a one time situation for me).
Attachments
IMG_5914.jpeg
IMG_5915.jpeg
IMG_5916.jpeg
IMG_5850.jpeg
IMG_5917.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Found in the Wild, Original Family, Great Bonus

Post by phonogfp »

I agree - it's so gratifying (for some of us anyway) to know the history of a particular machine. I regret very much the opportunities I missed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when I would buy a machine out of a house without obtaining its history and that of the original owner. Back then I was focused on their technological, industrial, and marketing history. As my hair diminished, a greater appreciation of the human side of particular machines grew. (I doubt there was really a connection.)

I'm happy to report that the family histories are known on the following machines I have here:

Columbia AG Graphophone
Edisonic Schubert
Edison Army/Navy
Zonophone Concert Grand
Sonora William & Mary
Columbia GG Graphophone
Victrola XVI
Edison B-275
Victrola 80
Victrola XIV D

There could have been many, many more!

Congratulations on acquiring a satisfying piece of history!

George P.

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Thank you for this post and congratulations on your acquisition! I must confess, when I go visit a machine for the first time and meet the seller, usually my first question is, "What can you tell me about the history of this phonograph?" Obviously, I approach this as a historian AND collector. Also, I am a licensed Funeral Director so I am used to engaging people and hearing sentimental stories. That said, I don't always obtain a great backstory - I have reached several dead ends with that question. Sometimes the answer has been, "I don't know a thing about it.... I bought it at a flea market a year ago." But, hey, it is always worth asking!

I hope that more collectors, especially the younger ones coming up, really take a keen interest in the sentimental side of this hobby and remember to WRITE down the stories once they get home with their new piece! I can tell you from experience that it is hard to remember the details a couple months later, LOL.

Again, thanks for sharing!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I wouldn't call this machine "lowly" at all! I've always really liked the XIV, and the fumed oak case is a definite plus. I've owned a couple of versions of this model, but have never owned any Victrola in fumed oak. Maybe someday . . .

Congrats!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

“Lowly” was tongue in cheek. The VV-XIV is not at the top of many collectors list, but I find the second type with the tapered female crank and pleasant proportions and understated carving very attractive. The Fumed Oak was a nice bonus too.

MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Post by MisterGramophone »

Wow! A J. W. Myers record!
Gramophone :pig:

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

That one is interesting in that it was the first use of Nipper on a 10” Victor record, (only used for a few months. The “Victor Ten Inch” are the extremely rare ones, (only produced the first week of 1901). Kind of an amazing stroke of luck.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

No one has messed with the exterior and it matches perfectly. :coffee:
It's a very nice looking machine!

James.

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Definitely a nice find. Enjoy.