Anyone going to the Bixfest in Racine, WI this weekend?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
beaumonde
Victor III

Anyone going to the Bixfest in Racine, WI this weekend?

Post by beaumonde »

I'll be there, with my friend Bryan Wright (of Rivermont Records; he'll have a table set up during the record sales).

http://www.bixfest.com/
Adam

Henry
Victor V

Re: Anyone going to the Bixfest in Racine, WI this weekend?

Post by Henry »

Wish I could be there to see John Otto play that left-handed clarinet! And Dave Bock can play the trombone with either hand! Now that's talent!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Yes I see Andy Schum and his gang will be playing there too. Sadly too far for me to drive :(

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

The show was great. The highlight for me was hearing Andy Schumm's band (the "Beer Garden Band" was one of the names used, but they couldn't decide), which keeps getting better and better. Good news is that (finally) a professional recording (CD) may come out the performances at the show.

Also a highlight was the record spinning session on Friday night, which went on longer than the 2 hours I stayed. I got to share a few of the neat 78s I just purchased earlier in the day (including some Clarence Williams from 1934 & Fats Waller and Thomas Morris' Hot Babies in "Savannah Blues").

Finally (also) found a (visually) excellent copy of the 1932 RCA picture disc entitled "A Night with Paul Whiteman at the Biltmore". Aurally these discs tend to have problems, and this one is no better, but at least it doesn't skip or have lam cracks or edge flakes. I have transferred it and will share it soon (along with my other, with "tabloid versions" of "Let Them Eat Cake"/"When Thousands Cheer".
Adam

jnorman111
Victor O

Post by jnorman111 »

(J.M.J.)
Photo of promoter PHIL POSPYCHALA and his daughter Nancy at the cutting of the BIX BEIDERBECKE birthday cakes, 3/13/2011, Marriott Hotel, Racine, Wisconsin. BIX would have been 108 years old on March 10th. :rose: Photo by Jim VanDrisse.
Attachments
Picture 013.jpg