Newbie Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
lcv705
Victor Jr

Newbie Question

Post by lcv705 »

So glad to have found this forum. I just purchased a Model A Edison Phonograph (Serial 245,006) and the person I purchased it from does not know if it works, but it did spin when wound so that is promising. I am excited to give it a try and want to make sure I get the right cylinders for it. In reading through the postings on this forum it is the 2 minute cylinders, but will any 2 minute cylinder work? Can I play the amberols for example? Just looking to see which ones I need to purchase online. Thanks for your help, I know this is a really basic question!

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Newbie Question

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Check the reproducer and see whether it is a common Model C, Model H, or another type. The Model C is designed for two minute records while the H is for Amberols. Did you get any records with it?
In what area are you located? Blue Amberol records are the most durable.
Don

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Congrats on your first phonograph. The blue Amberol records are four minute. If you mention your location, maybe a collector might be nearby to help.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Tha Antique Phonograph Society has a number of free articles on its website. This one may be specially helpful to you, as it shows the basic types of cylinder records and the reproducers that play them.

George P.

lcv705
Victor Jr

Post by lcv705 »

Wonderful thank you so much! It is a Model C reproducer. I am in the Denver area. Appreciate all of your help. Looking forward to diving in to your resources. No cylinders came with it so I still don't know how it plays.

lcv705
Victor Jr

Post by lcv705 »

So I purchased a cylinder record and tried to play it but I don't think there is a needle in the Model C Reproducer. No sound came out at all. What would you all recommend as next steps? Thanks for your help.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Can you post a picture of the underside of the reproducer? The stylus would be rounded and not have a sharp point. Are you lowering the reproducer down correctly onto the record? Does it touch the record at any point?

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Yes, pictures of the reproducer and the machine will help a lot. Welcome to the affliction!

phonograph guy3435
Victor I
Personal Text: edison amberola guy

Post by phonograph guy3435 »

has anybody talked with edibrunsvic since March fifth?

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I am still occasionally corresponding with collectors on the forum.
Don (EdiBrunsVic)