Removing tonearm from Victor VV 8-9

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jeb98
Victor Jr

Re: Removing tonearm from Victor VV 8-9

Post by Jeb98 »

MarkELynch wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:49 pm

Once you remove the tone arm assembly you will find that the potmetal bracket with the overhead pin supporting the tonearm is stuck in the sheet metal flange. It is swollen in place and breaking it out in pieces and installing a replacement is the path forward. Replacements are readily available.

Let us know how you make out.

Mark
So I’ve finally been able to remove the platter and remove the motor from the board.

The tonearm I have questions on. Any tips on how to take the tonearm out of its base to clean the bearings?? Do I really have to break the pot metal bracket?? Perhaps I can soak it in kerosene to clean the bearings and then repack the bearings? Or is there another way to get the tonearm out of the bracket??
Attachments
IMG_3487.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

To remove the tone arm, loosen the set screw that holds the upper pivot pin in place. Slide out the pivot pin. This should allow the tone arm to rise up & out of the bracket. Be very careful loosening the set screw since the bracket is showing some pot metal cracking already.

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:30 pm To remove the tone arm, loosen the set screw that holds the upper pivot pin in place. Slide out the pivot pin. This should allow the tone arm to rise up & out of the bracket. Be very careful loosening the set screw since the bracket is showing some pot metal cracking already.
Thanks Jerry. Unfortunately, it seems that with this version of the tonearm, it isn’t designed to rise up out of the bracket. It doesn’t seem to fit that way

Best,

Jonas

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Well I’ve been able to get much of the old grease out of the tonearm bearing, a lot of work using alcohol, rags and picks to get the grease out. I’ll be getting the refurbished motor soon and I’ll be able to put it all back together at that point.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Jeb,

The grease you removed is mainly for air sealing and less so for lubrication, without the grease there will be significant sound degradation particularly in the bass. See the attached photo of page one of Victor Service Bulletin No. 9 for the Orthophonic tone arm

While I admire your diligence in trying to save the old part and care you’ve taken to clean out the grease I recommend that you replace the swollen and cracked taper tube support with a modern replica. They are listed and hopefully currently available from The Phonograph Shop. Yes, you’ll have to break the old swollen support out of the stamped sheet metal base to remove it. The Phonograph Shop doesn’t list the 8-9 as a “where used” but I checked the Victor parts listing and it will fit your machine. Reseal the joint with grease as described in the Service Bulletin.

On the replacement motor, did you verify that the crank position will align with the hole for it in the cabinet? There are many variants.

Good luck with your restoration.

Mark
43140C6E-9B13-42D4-8F36-2C7B661E3E96.jpeg

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Jeb,

We haven’t hear from you in a while, are you working on your tax return instead of your 8-9? 😊

Mark

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Thanks Mark for the replies and that very helpful picture from the manual. I actually got the tonearm race bearing cleaned out and lubed pretty well.

My new problem is that i purchased a cleaned and restored motor and that one is noisy. There is a ticking or rubbing noise on the governor spring speed adjuster brass piece. I tried oiling up the leather bad there and it doesn't really help. Maybe it's out of allignment? There is usually a bit of noise from this area but it is more noisy and I don't know what caused that. Technically it is "up and running" but the noise is not so ideal.

Then finally the last annoying thing, I bought a restored orthophonic reproducer, and its a newer one that doesn't hold bamboo needles. I prefer to use bamboo needles generally. The original orthophonic reproducer that came with this machine is in a restorable condition but I'd have to send it out to someone or fix it myself. I've got it apart, but I don't have a thin enough soldering gun to resolder the needle bar to the diaphragm. Then it's not seeming so possible to get the rubber gasket out of the old orthophonic pot metal back without most likely breaking it.

Best,

Jonas

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Thanks Mark for the replies and that very helpful picture from the manual. I actually got the tonearm race bearing cleaned out and lubed pretty well. That's good to know that this new tonearm bracket would fit, I was actually wondering if it would fit the later orthophonic tonearm.

My new problem is that i purchased a cleaned and restored motor and that one is noisy. There is a ticking or rubbing noise on the governor spring speed adjuster brass piece. I tried oiling up the leather bad there and it doesn't really help. Maybe it's out of allignment? There is usually a bit of noise from this area but it is more noisy and I don't know what caused that. Technically it is "up and running" but the noise is not so ideal.

Then finally the last annoying thing, I bought a restored orthophonic reproducer, and its a newer one that doesn't hold bamboo needles. I prefer to use bamboo needles generally. The original orthophonic reproducer that came with this machine is in a restorable condition but I'd have to send it out to someone or fix it myself. I've got it apart, but I don't have a thin enough soldering gun to resolder the needle bar to the diaphragm. Then it's not seeming so possible to get the rubber gasket out of the old orthophonic pot metal back without most likely breaking it.

Best,

Jonas