Edison Home B or Home D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Edison Home B or Home D

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'm on the decision making stage to cut my collection down, and am trying to decide whether a Home B or D is a better combination phonograph. I have a B fitted with a four minute attachment, as well as an excellent original reproducer, a great Paul Baker C, and the possibility of a rebuild for my K.

Should I sell my B and get a Model D, or just finish the last bit here?

I'm sorry for a dumb question but I don't have experience comparing the two forms of combination gearing. I have a Fireside but that's a simplification of the Standard, and Homes are something I haven't really had a lot of experience with even though I've worked on a couple.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Edison Home B or Home D

Post by drh »

For what it's worth, which is every penny you're paying for it, I prefer a machine with an end gate. That would suggest keeping the B.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I vote for the B, especially if it’s got the pre-1906 banner style transfer. Plus, the B is not vulnerable to the frozen center bearing issue that befalls many D’s.

The D has the attractive additional blue pinstripes, and having no endgate is slightly advantageous.

But my vote is B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm a sucker for a nice banner decal. If that's true and condition is similar I'd take the B. If the B has a script decal and the D has its original pot metal mandrel bushing I'd take the B. If the D has a new mandrel bushing and condition is similar I'd take the D for convenience of operation. :)

Jerry B.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

My vote would be for the model B. I like the end gate as well.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

In my opinion, the Model B machines were about the best, while the Model D machines were about the worst. Give me a Model B with 2/4 gearing any time. The mandrel bearing problem and lack of an end gate is enough to scare me away from the D.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I've changed mandrel bearings and don't mind pressing in new ones made of brass to replace the decaying pot metal ones. Bearings are just part of it. If it still has the oiler plug that's supposed to go above the bearing, which is often missing, that's just too cool.

I have a B that's about 80% restored with a rebuilt and running motor, billet aluminum lower pulley (one of my favorite upgrades, the other being having a machine shop straighten the output shaft on the gear cluster which seems to be invariably bent), a crane I'm still not happy with placement of, crisp 24" Tea Tray morning glory horn, and an incomplete conversion kit. Nickel plating I'd say is messed up and a few cabinet hardware bits are missing. Also the data plate is removed and around here someplace waiting for resilvering.

All the finish is a diy job and the decal is by Gregg Cline. It was banged up a bit in a move, sadly. I could seriously just have the bedplate fixed, do whatever it needs to make it quit slipping the belt and gnashing the gear up top, and throw better gaskets on it to have a nice working machine.

This was originally a parts project I bought from the North Carolina CAMPS show a few years ago.

Could also redo the Edison Fireside I have stashed but it's small and top-heavy with a cygnet if I put one back on it.

Home B for reference. Sitting on a radio table from the 1920s in the corner of my library/office/record mausoleum/disaster area as Pope Pius X looks on disapprovingly from his lithograph on the wall. I recommend antique prints as you can acquire a king, president, pope, movie star, mythological figure, or anyone really for about ten dollars. On the radio people who have "bought a congressman" have to pay lots more and and Emily Post would say it's not nice stapling them to the wall for decoration.
17111417993104776541513304964665.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I guess I’m in the minority here, I say a model D because you can play both 2/4 minute speeds. Then again I got my model D machines with the bearing replaced. 5 years ago when I got my model E Standard was the only time I had to take on the task of getting a bearing out, it was a pain in the butt but I managed to chip that sucker out bit by bit…

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I'll add that the Model D Homes are much less common than the B. I have had numerous Model B machines and just one D. That's probably because many people threw out their D machines once the bearing froze.