Victor front mount cover plate

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Victor front mount cover plate

Post by jamiegramo »

I’m inclined to support the horn crane idea rather than to support a clip or a tray for a needle tin. But who knows...

Looking at the other thread if you assume the bent rod is original (and it may not be) and has not been cut down and you removed it and inserted the other end into the hole that would bring the horizontal part level with the turntable or maybe higher. The rod could then be used as a rigid/tone arm rest to prevent it swinging around when not in use. This might have been seen as a potential problem with the new rigid/tone arms.

I have other ideas but they really are too far fetched. :D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I wish I could offer a valid and clear-cut answer to this mystery. Unfortunately, all I can offer are a few reasons why I strongly doubt the "horn crane" hypothesis.

1) The rigid-arm Victors appeared in the October 1902; the beginning of the busiest annual season for talking machine and record sales. A respectable amount of advertising appeared for the following six months touting the feature, yet no horn crane is known to have been shown in those period advertisements. Period catalogs likewise show no such crane.

2) If the inherent weakness of the brass elbow had become apparent during those six months (and that's a big "if"), isn't it more likely that Victor's engineers would have simply strengthened the elbow, rather than contrive a more-expensive Rube Goldberg-like contraption?

3) The rigid-arm Victors were phased out in April 1902, in favor of the new Tapering Arm. Yet the mystery cover plate can be found on later Tapering Arm Victors. Surely, no crane was needed for these.

4) Finally, the presence of a hanger on a Victor's horn is by no means unique. The 30- and 36-inch optional horns on AH, AR, and AY Disc Graphophones are occasionally found with hangers, as are some of the low-end Hawthorne & Sheble Star machines. This oddball feature should not automatically call into question the horn's originality to the machine, nor whether it was originally equipped with a crane.

The fact is that no such cranes are shown in period advertisements, catalogs, or images; nor have any such original cranes been discovered (as far as I'm aware). Again, I'd love to offer an answer rather than torpedoing a suggested reason for the mystery part. I don't have one, and until someone provides period documentation, I'll need to be patient and accept not knowing.

George P.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

All good points George. The mystery continues.

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Just an idea here, since it's basically a cosmetic type of thing. Depending how it mounts to the cabinet, could one or several be made on a 3D printer? I know that sounds like a felony, but you are just nor going to find one in all likelihood.

Happy Easter.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

A member of this Forum kindly sold me an original. They are not too common but also a low demand.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

George has made some very valid points. However point number 1. might apply to any use for this cover plate. Number 2. most convinces me. Whatever the use it seems to me Victor had a stock to use up, primarily as a cover plate, it’s proposed unknown other use redundant perhaps as soon as it was manufactured.

Everyone loves a mystery! Which continues... :D

BTW: Please forgive me for torpedoing another suggestion. Imagine the cover plate facing hole down and the rod shown on the other thread. This would then act as a pullout foot to stabilise the machine where the horn is swung back and facing away from the operator. Perhaps thought of as useful where a large horn is fitted.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The hole is all the way through.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Phono-Phan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:56 pm The hole is all the way through.
Ahh so it doesn’t need to be turned.