Edison Gem Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zapper
Victor II

Edison Gem Phonograph

Post by zapper »

Hi All
Another Edison for my collection. This time a Gem with alterations. It is a C #313536, but sometime in its history has been fitted with a model N reproducer and maroon carrier and additional gears. It came with 8 petal horn on which still has trade mark decal, but no reference to model. Is this an early horn? and crane. The previous owner/s must have enjoyed listening to over 100 blue amberols which came with the Gem.
Is it possible that the N reproducer can play 2 or 4 minute wax cylinders?
Any information will be appreciated
Thank you
Brian
Attachments
20240329_154231.jpg
20240329_154153.jpg
20240329_154112.jpg

Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: Edison Gem Phonograph

Post by Dulcetto »

zapper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm Hi All
Another Edison for my collection. This time a Gem with alterations. It is a C #313536, but sometime in its history has been fitted with a model N reproducer and maroon carrier and additional gears. It came with 8 petal horn on which still has trade mark decal, but no reference to model. Is this an early horn? and crane. The previous owner/s must have enjoyed listening to over 100 blue amberols which came with the Gem.
Thank you
Brian
Hi Brian, Ah , so you bought it ! Well done ! The model N reproducer will only play 4 minute records ( wax or celluloid ) . Its easy enough to find information on ALL Edison reproducers and what they were intended for by just googling . or if you prefer the " old fashioned " way , you can't do better than
to obtain a copy of any edition of George Frow's excellent guides to Edison Cylinder phonographs. Ok , no longer in print but copies surface from time to time if you look in the right places -- Abebooks , Amazon , Auctions etc Best wishes Paul

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

zapper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm Hi All
Thank you
Brian

I forgot to mention, the Gem is of course a Model C Gem , as i'm sure you are aware , and the horn is the original correct horn that was supplied with
the Model C when it left the Edison factory. Again , look out for Frow and Sefl's " Guide to the Edison Cylinder Phonograph " -- you can gain MUCH knowledge from just that one book alone. Regards

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

There's also a detailed, full-color illustrated article on all the Gems in the June 2023 issue of the APS magazine.

Interestingly, the maroon carriage currently on your Model C Gem was available only on the scarce Model E Gem. The Model E Gem was a 4-minute only machine, as was the Model N Reproducer. Your Model C Gem was originally a 2-minute only machine, and I don't see an Amberol Attachment on it. As shown, your Model C Gem should not be able to play 4-minute records such as Blue Amberols.

George P.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

phonogfp wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 pm There's also a detailed, full-color illustrated article on all the Gems in the June 2023 issue of the APS magazine.

Interestingly, the maroon carriage currently on your Model C Gem was available only on the scarce Model E Gem. The Model E Gem was a 4-minute only machine, as was the Model N Reproducer. Your Model C Gem was originally a 2-minute only machine, and I don't see an Amberol Attachment on it. As shown, your Model C Gem should not be able to play 4-minute records such as Blue Amberols.

George P.
Hello George,
Over the years I have seen a few examples of older type 2 minute Gems that have been fitted with gearing upgrade and also a larger - eye maroon carrier arm to take an ' N ' reproducer , maybe four or five , I have previously had one myself that turned up fresh from an estate sale where it had been in the same family so I suspect that although as you correctly state that the large - eye maroon carrier arm was supplied on the Model E Gem , it was also available ( at least here in UK ) for owners to upgrade existing machines to " N " reproducer if they so wished , which of course explains its existence on Brian's Model C.
and look closely again at Brian's photo -- there is a four minute gearing attachment present . Best regards PAUL

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

phonogfp wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 pm There's also a detailed, full-color illustrated article on all the Gems in the June 2023 issue of the APS magazine.

George P.
I should also mention that a few years ago , a model D Gem turned up in auction here in UK , fitted with the larger eye maroon carrier arm , so again that kinda suggests that larger eye carriers were indeed available separately for owners of older model Gems to upgrade to a reproducer with a larger diameter diaphragm. Regards from UK , PAUL

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Hi Paul and George. Thank you both for your help with the Gem. I have stripped, cleaned and reassembled. It is playing well. Now I have to catalogue the cylinders and listen to them of course.
George can you give me any dates for factory issue.
Regards Brian

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

zapper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 pm Hi Paul and George. Thank you both for your help with the Gem. I have stripped, cleaned and reassembled. It is playing well. Now I have to catalogue the cylinders and listen to them of course.
George can you give me any dates for factory issue.
Regards Brian
The Model C Gem was first available in UK in early 1909 and was still available for a while after the UK introduction of the Model D " Red Gem " in October 1909 . The Model E ( with the larger eye carrier ) was introduced in UK in December 1912 , so presumably the large eye carrier was available separately for owners of older models to upgrade to the larger diameter N reproducer at the same time . Regards

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Dulcetto wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm and look closely again at Brian's photo -- there is a four minute gearing attachment present . Best regards PAUL
Ah - You're right - I don't know how I missed it!

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

zapper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 pm George can you give me any dates for factory issue.
Regards Brian
The Model C Gem was introduced in the U.S. in February 1908. By the end of May (when known Edison sales records cease), serial numbering had reached 276219, so it's a safe presumption that your No.313536 left the factory in mid/late 1909.

George P.