Standard D with H reproducer skips and drags

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jop Amberola 30
Victor O

Standard D with H reproducer skips and drags

Post by Jop Amberola 30 »

Hi all,

Got an Edison Standard D with 2/4 gearing and a H reproducer. Bought my first Blue Amberol recently. It plays very light and wants to drag like the underside of the reproducer is rubbing the cylinder. My C 2 minute reproducer works fine for those cylinders. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
Jop Amberola 30

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Standard D with H reproducer skips and drags

Post by Roaring20s »

Post clear close-up photos of the H stylus area, and how the weight hangs in comparison to the C.

James.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Also, test the blue amberol with your C reproducer in the 4 minute mode to see if you have the same issue.

James.

Jop Amberola 30
Victor O

Post by Jop Amberola 30 »

I tested the Amberol with the C reproducer. It’s fairly quiet… but plays through. Does rub at the end.

Think I know what the issue is. The Amberol is out of round and wobbles quite a bit on the mandrel. I’ve tried the H reproducer with good 2 minute cylinders and plays fine. I just got a cheap Amberol that isn’t “true”. No big deal.

Steve
Jop Amberola 30

Roaring20s
Victor V

Post by Roaring20s »

That's good that you were able to see the issue. :)

Just don't make a habit of using the H on your 2M cylinders, the stylus is larger. ;)

James.

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

You should buy a cylinder reamer to resize all your Blue Amberol cylinders. This will help them fit properly on the mandrel and make them more “round”