Sonora Period Models

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Sonora Period Models

Post by phonogfp »

Here's another Sonora Period Model - - this time a 1924 William & Mary. I bought this several years ago when it appeared in a local shop, primarily because I'm a sucker for nice wood. This one is Walnut. I serviced the motor, cleaned up the cabinet, and have neglected it ever since. If you look closely, you'll notice that the black horizontal inlays are missing from both record storage doors. Fortunately, one of these inlays was found in the drawer, so I can make replacements using the original as a template. I really must do that one of these days... :oops:

In the 1922 Sonora catalog of "Periods" (they weren't called "Art Models"), 19 different designs are illustrated, and appear to be in descending order of features, detail, and presumably price. The William & Mary appears 12th among these 19, so it wasn't one of the more elaborate models. Although the catalog claims its 2-spring motor to be gold-plated, this one isn't. And although the 1922 "Periods" catalog specifies a Motor-Meter, and the instructions claim that an electric light is included, this example has neither of those features. The original Instructions and Index were found with this machine, and it was originally owned by N.J. Hassinger & Family of Batavia, N.Y. This isn't the loudest talking machine I own, but I find it peculiarly sweet-toned. I usually play Fritz Kriesler on it for guests.

Sonora seemed to change cabinet designs often in virtually all its models, and the Periods are no exception. Below, I've included scans from Sonora's 1920 catalog, its 1922 "Periods" catalog, and from its 1924 catalog. You'll notice changes within models.

I'm not sure when Sonora began offering the Period Models, but the company's purchase of the Herzog Art Furniture Company in 1919 must have made it much easier to obtain high-quality cabinetry.

I hope others enjoy this, and if anyone would like a scan of a particular model from the 1922 Sonora "Periods" catalog, I'll be happy to provide it.

George P.
Attachments
WM001.jpg
wmclosed1.jpg
wmopen2.jpg
wmtop3.jpg
wmturn.jpg
wmplate.jpg
From the Sonora 1920 catalog.
From the Sonora 1920 catalog.
Cover of 1922 Period catalog.
Cover of 1922 Period catalog.
From the Sonora 1922 Period catalog.
From the Sonora 1922 Period catalog.
From the Sonora 1924 catalog.
From the Sonora 1924 catalog.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Sonora Period Models

Post by phonogfp »

Sorry about the last image on my previous post. Here's a less annoying version!

George P.
Attachments
From Sonora's 1924 catalog.
From Sonora's 1924 catalog.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

George, You are absolutely right, that walnut is beautiful. I wish the one I just re-did looked as great. I see yours has the paper sleeves and upon closer inspection, I see where they should have attached to the Westminster. I'll admit though that the two Sonora phonographs I had previously, and don't have any more, had the paper and it was so fragile that I never stored any records in the machines. I'm glad in a way that the one I have is missing the sleeves since now I can slide record books in there and they'll look all right as is. Since the finish is now non-original, I don't feel too bad about the missing sleeves.

Thanks for posting this nice Sonora and for the scans--Any other art models out there anywhere? If so, let's see those pictures..

Steve

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

What a fantastic Sonora Period W&M . The finish is extremely impressive !! What Model Bulge sided Sonora is that sitting in the corner of the Room ?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

That's a beautiful cabinet, indeed. That big fat wooden tone arm always gets my attention. I'd like to hear how this unit sounds. Thanks for posting.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks for the nice remarks about the W&M. The finish is original and has its little flaws, but it's in pretty good condition. When a friend and I moved it upstairs 6 years ago, it was the heaviest machine of all of them; Credenda; Edison Disc Phonographs; Victrola XVI; nothing else came close to this. It nearly killed us. Later, it occurred to me that perhaps there was something "non-original" in that cabinet somewhere. I rooted around with a flashlight looking for some hidden cubbyhole or compartment, but found nothing. There's just no reason for this thing to weigh this much!

Steve, I think your Sonora does look great. I'd like one in your cabinet style with this wood!

The Sonora in the background is an "Elite." I'm afraid it may need to go in the basement, as I'll soon be bringing up a new machine and I'm running out of space! (Ever hear that before?) Maybe I can talk Barb into letting the Elite occupy a bedroom... :lol:

In looking at Steve's and my serial number, I'm wondering if the Sonora Period models had intermixed serial numbers without regard to the cabinet style. Is it possible Sonora sold 3000 of any one style? From what I've seen over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if the total output of all Period styles was less than 5000 or 6000. I too would be interested in seeing other Sonora Period models.

George P.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

The Sonora in the background is an "Elite." I'm afraid it may need to go in the basement, as I'll soon be bringing up a new machine and I'm running out of space! (Ever hear that before?) Maybe I can talk Barb into letting the Elite occupy a bedroom

I believe you are correct, it looks like it has the same grill pattern and fancy ornate corner carvings as my Elite. You usually can confirm which model Sonora you have by removing the bottom draw, and on the bottom side the name of the model will either be stenciled or stamped there.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

solophoneman wrote: I believe you are correct, it looks like it has the same grill pattern and fancy ornate corner carvings as my Elite. You usually can confirm which model Sonora you have by removing the bottom draw, and on the bottom side the name of the model will either be stenciled or stamped there.
Unfortunately, the drawer is missing on this one. (I looked all over the house where I bought it, but it just wasn't there. I suspect the man who owned it [he bought it in the 60s] found it that way.) I was able to identify the model by checking the catalogs.

George P.

Victrolaman
Victor II

Post by Victrolaman »

Hi I have a nice Jacobean model, mine has the triple gold spring motor, electric light and is walnut. They are beautiful machines. Thanks for showing the catalog

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Victrolaman wrote:Hi I have a nice Jacobean model, mine has the triple gold spring motor, electric light and is walnut. They are beautiful machines. Thanks for showing the catalog
May I ask its serial number? Thanks -

George P.