Sonora Period Models

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
solophoneman
Victor II

Re: Sonora Period Models

Post by solophoneman »

Victrolaman wrote:Hi I have a nice Jacobean model, mine has the triple gold spring motor, electric light and is walnut. They are beautiful machines. Thanks for showing the catalog
Do you have the link where we can see that Jacobean operating with the light on ? That would be pretty neat to see.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Beautiful machine George. The timber certainly is fantastic.
I'm a little curious why some people refer to these as "Art case" models though. The appear to be refered to as "Delux Period" models in all the advertising that's been posted for the 3 different models, and unless I missed it, nowhere does it say "Art" case or model anywhere.
Is this a collector term used to make them sound more desirable or something, or are all period models art case models?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Shane,

Beats me. Edison referred to its period-designed models as "Art Case," so maybe that's where it comes from. I mentioned in my initial posting that Sonora called theirs "Periods," so that's what I call them. I started the new thread under that name just in case someone should ever do a search, they'll be able to find it under the same name as found in the original literature. Yeah, I'm kind of an old lady... :)

I think I would bring home almost any nasty talking machine if it were made out of pretty wood!

George P.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

LOL, I don't think there's anything "old lady" about using the correct terminology George ;)

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

George, that walnut W&M is just superb! It's a real testimony to the skills of the cabinet makers at Sonora (or Herzog, as the case may be).

I came to appreciate the addition of stretchers between the legs of so many console Art Case/Deluxe Period cabinets. I used to own a Sonora Louis XV that I bought from a collector near Ithaca NY. Two of the legs had broken, they really were quite slender. I suspect that they snapped under the weight of the machine filled with records as it was being pushed across a floor. I re-glued them with dowels inserted to reinforce the repair, and sold it to a fellow collector with the admonishment to *lift* the machine when moving it. You know what happened----I understand it's still in his basement with 2 broken legs.

Mpellicano
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Winding in West Florida

Post by Mpellicano »

I found a William and Mary 'Raleigh'. It needs very little to bring it back.
Attachments
DSCN5542.JPG
DSCN5543.JPG
DSCN5541.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Nice find. Please post some “after” pictures when you get it cleaned up.

Mpellicano
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Winding in West Florida

Post by Mpellicano »

Here's the lid/top that I just stripped. Wood filler, to fix little nicks, is drying, then stain/poly in the morning.
Attachments
DSCN5554.JPG
DSCN5544.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Gosh that's pretty wood!

It sure looks better after your stripping and filling. I wouldn't recommend stain, nor poly, but it's your machine.

Thanks for posting!

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

phonogfp wrote:Gosh that's pretty wood!

It sure looks better after your stripping and filling. I wouldn't recommend stain, nor poly, but it's your machine.

Thanks for posting!

George P.
Yeah, what he said. Please, no Poly.