ID Help --- Columbia Client Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pathe Logical
Victor II

ID Help --- Columbia Client Machine

Post by Pathe Logical »

I picked up this unidentified phonograph today (farm fresh) and assume it is an unmarked, Columbia "client" machine. I have never seen this style cabinet before. Can anyone identify this machine and tell me who sold it originally?

Above the crank escutcheon, there is a small hole which penetrates the motor board, and a corresponding hole in the center, top edge of the cabinet below the motor board. I assume there was a screw in place here at one time to secure the motor board to the cabinet body (see pictures). Any comments on this?

Dimensions follow:

Cabinet: 13" X 13" at base; 5.375" high (no feet underneath). Corners of the cabinet body are beveled at a 45 degree angle. Wooden pieces at the cabinet corners are flush with the cabinet side panels (not really corner columns at all).
Horn: 11.375" diameter X 18.625" long (measured down the center of the throat).
Turntable: 10" diameter.
Motor: small, one-spring motor (petite when compared to the overall cabinet size).

To all of those who respond and chime in, thanks for your input!

Bob
Attachments
1.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
7.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: ID Help --- Columbia Client Machine

Post by Phonofreak »

I have a machine that is similar. It looks like an early machine. The arms look like they were used on an Early Columbia AH. The unmarked reproducer has a thumb screw, also very early. Mine had red turntable felt, and the arms were also used on a Columbia BA. Also, mine has a handle like a Columbia Harvard. I'd like to know more about this machine, myself.
Harvey Kravitz

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

See http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=41099 for a July 5, 2019 post of a similar machine.

Thanks,
Bob

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

A beautiful machine in nice untouched condition. Great to have both arms intact. The other machine appears to me to have been refinished, which raised the question that it may have had a decal at one time and may have been removed. Your machine answers that question. The fact that the case has no label and the reproducer is unsigned by Columbia together strongly indicate that this is a client machine. (Conversely, if the case had a Columbia logo on it, but an unsigned reproducer, then I would guess that the reproducer were a later substitute and not original.) Anyway, nice machine. Always great to see something in its original configuration or close to it.