Amberola 6 Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofolks
Victor I

Amberola 6 Questions

Post by Phonofolks »

I am looking for any information on the Amberola 6. Are there any known issues regarding this model phonograph? Is it a reliable player and worthy to purchase? I heard there were some adjustment issues that were inherent to the Amberola 5 or 6. Which one in particular I do not recall. A friend is thinking of selling his to me so I am doing some research beforehand. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Amberola 6 Questions

Post by phonogfp »

There is one gear known to become noisy. Edison offered replacements (aluminum I believe), but the problem was never entirely resolved.

George P.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

As George mentioned, the Edison Amberola VI model A (the earliest Amberola VI model) was very prone to having a noisy motor. I have two of the Amberola VI model A's and both of mine apparently were not played excessively so motor noise in each is quite agreeable. But I have heard a good number of other Amerberola VI model A's that sound like a miniature chainsaw when running.

All of this said, the Edison Amberola models B and C used the very well designed Edison Fireside motor so no motor issues with those models. Since you didn't mention (or include pictures of) which model Amberola VI you're considering it's difficult to offer advice. But if the Amberola VI looks like the picture I provided below then it's a model A and, if interested, you might want to consider evaluating the motor noise unless motor noise is not important to you. Good luck!

Doug
Attachments
Amberola VI model A.jpg
Amberola VI model A.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 241 times

MisterOpera
Victor O

Post by MisterOpera »

I have several V s and one Vi s. personally i would like the V much better.
Burdette E. Walters